Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 06-05-2006, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think this streak has a LOT to do with cut height, grass type, and time of season. I was cutting at 3.5" Your thinner bladed grasses are what I experienced it on with the 66" demo. This time of year, we've been having near drought conditions, then we get dumploads of rain. The grass is confused. Half going dormant, half growing like crazy.

I don't care what gets done to this deck to remedy the problem....I'm just very impressed with the speed of reaction from Hustler as a company!
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 06-06-2006, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerconsultant
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Anyone that is having a issue with the cut quality on the XR-7, please contact your dealer and have them order / install part # 107896, this is a kit that includes a baffle and hardware needed to install it.
This will resolve the issue, we have tested it with members here and many others and this kit resolves the issue.
Your dealer will need to call the factory customer service department and have this kit sent to them.
We have these in stock and ready to ship.
This kit will be supplied / installed at no charge to you.

Pj
I personally want to know " in engineering detail " what caused the problem to begin with and how this could have never been noticed in the amount of testing that was done on these mowers.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Is the kit also available for the 36" trimstar?
Old 06-06-2006, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws
I personally want to know " in engineering detail "
Well I am not a engineer, so I can not answer that.

PWM (Paul Mullet, President of Hustler) posted in another thread on the commercial forum the reasons this was happening.
Here is his post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWM
puppypaws

From what we have been able to determine the problem has shown up an a very small number of machines. As TLS has determined it is caused by the free flow triangles in certain types of grass at higher cutting heights. The air flow is holding down the clippings and affecting the cut between the left and center blade. The size of the deck doesn't seem to make much difference.
There is no doubt in our minds that the free flow triangles do help the discharge of clippings by reducing clumping and smoothing out the flow. Due to the value of the FFT and the small number of mowers that are having a problem, we are not changing the design of the XR7 but will however provide anyone with striping problems the bolt in pieces at no charge.
We at Hustler will continue to make improvements to our products. We also understand the risk involved anytime changes are made. We also expect a quick response and a satisfactory solution to any problems that arise in the field. I hope we have lived up to that standard in this situation.

Pw

PS.. Future improvement: First the FF and next the FS. Coming soon.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITRY
Is the kit also available for the 36" trimstar?
I am not sure, I will find out, I am not sure they were looking for problems on that unit.
I would like to know what you are running for a mulch kit, is it our kit and blades?
I have honestly not heard a single complaint until you posted on the TrimStar cut.
Is it a belt drive or hydro?
Either way I will ask.

Pj
Old 06-06-2006, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws
How many hours did you have on the mower before you noticed this streak of uncut grass and which engine are you running? How many hours of cutting time were on the fusion blades when you saw the problem. I know of four people running the 28/66 all with 60 hours or less and no one has seen anything but a perfect cut this is why I am asking these questions to see if there is going to be a pattern. Your 66" is the first one I have heard of seeing this problem and I am trying to figure out why it just started.
I had about 98 hours on the mower before I noticed the problem in certain areas. Other areas still mowed magnificent. I have the 27 kohler/ 66". I did discover today after alternating my mowing pattern, I did not notice the uncut strip. I really think, that it has more to do with the grass and mowing habits, than it does the mower itself. But I still would like to use the kit. As for the blades. I always have a sharp set of blades on. I switch them regularly.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Well I am not a engineer, so I can not answer that.

PWM (Paul Mullet, President of Hustler) posted in another thread on the commercial forum the reasons this was happening.
Here is his post...
I saw the post and thanked him for the well defined diagnosis of the problem, it is easier for me to understand how turbulence in a certain area under the deck can push a streak of tall lush growing grass forward and it not stand back up in time to be cut especially if the person mowing is only trying to take off a small amount. I also think it is extremely nice for the president of a company to respond the way he did to his customers. This country has a lot of company presidents that are paid large sums of money to be a figure head and if the truth be known most of the employees that actually do the work could care less if they had a president or not, work would go on the same as it always had. I feel assured Paul Mullet is not that kind of man.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Member

T-n-t

My dealer installed the kit on my xr7 two wks ago I am seeing it on about 10 15 percent of the time still.. not like it was but a short strip here and there. depending on the type of grass. I am pleased with the way hustler has handled this issue, but my self I wished they would let some of us pros. who run these machines everyday in all conditions. Test these new machines in our world is there a way a company can get into the R&D program to help Hustler make and produce the ultimate mower. They seem to listen to us how about letting us test them too.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassbandit
I had about 98 hours on the mower before I noticed the problem in certain areas. Other areas still mowed magnificent. I have the 27 kohler/ 66". I did discover today after alternating my mowing pattern, I did not notice the uncut strip. I really think, that it has more to do with the grass and mowing habits, than it does the mower itself. But I still would like to use the kit. As for the blades. I always have a sharp set of blades on. I switch them regularly.
I thank you for your answers to my questions and from the information I have gathered you should be installing these parts because they say that the mower seems to perform even better than it did originally which really amazes me because I do not see how one could do a better job than mine has. I have always believed that there is absolutely nothing that cannot be improved upon. Thanks again for your honest answers.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I am not sure, I will find out, I am not sure they were looking for problems on that unit.
I would like to know what you are running for a mulch kit, is it our kit and blades?
I have honestly not heard a single complaint until you posted on the TrimStar cut.
Is it a belt drive or hydro?
Either way I will ask.

Pj
Hydro with hustler mulch kit and blades.