Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-20-2001, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Centipede Grass in Tennessee?

Went to Home Depot yesterday and was planning on purchasing Zoysia seed and Hydroseeding and area around my newly installed pool. They also sell Centipede grass seed. I though I was to far north for that. Live in Chattanooga, Borders the Georgia Line. I have though about trying it just wondering what would happen this winter. May just stick with trying Zoysia instead. have had several request for Hydroseeding Zoysia. I think it is still a little early for it yet. Probably wait until july. Anyway just wanted to see what your comments were. Thanks!!

Daren Brantley
Top Cut Lawn Care
Old 05-20-2001, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Call Anthony at the lesco dealer here in chattanooga tell him i sent you .he can answer that question for ya .i was at a seminar there about a year ago an they talked about that.here is there # 855-1004
Old 05-20-2001, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Its very hard to get it to grow in TN. I'm in memphis and we don't have as cool of winters as you. Most people here can't keep centipede growing.

Zoysia is hard to get started from seed. This is what the lesco guy told me. He recommended sod instead. Seed is very expensive. It would be cheaper in the long run to get the sod.
Old 05-20-2001, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Daren, From what I have seen here, Central Alabama, I would never spend the money or waste time on Centipede north of Macon Ga. We have a number of established Centipede lawns in this area, and a great many of them were almost completely killed this past winter. Centipede has a number of good qualities, but being able to survive a cold winter is not one of them.
Neil