Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-13-2006, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Scag Turf Tiger vs Hustler Super Z...

I'm buying a new mower. Have it narrowed down to the two mentioned. The super Z will have the 30 hp Kohler and the Scag will have the 27 lc efi Kawi. 60" decks on both. Looking for info and war stories.

Thanks
Old 05-13-2006, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Member

i wouldn't mind hearing some stories my self
Old 05-13-2006, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever Green
I'm buying a new mower. Have it narrowed down to the two mentioned. The super Z will have the 30 hp Kohler and the Scag will have the 27 lc efi Kawi. 60" decks on both. Looking for info and war stories.

Thanks

Although I have never tested or owned any of those, but based on my observation on many of LCO who use them daily. I would say Scag Turf Tiger have advantage over Hustler on cut quality. Many of million dollar homes in one of subdivisions that I have accounts with, many are cut by Turf Tiger, and they leave super smooth cut with natural stripe on the 60" deck, meanwhile the Hustlers mostly cut large areas landscape outside gate, and the cut are not impressive like Scag, just speed and brute force. I prefer Scag over Hustler...most of Scag line are really tough and quality, especially Turf Tiger and Wild cat. There is a guy who run only Ferris for years, but now everything he owns is Scag wild cat like 4 of them. This tells you something.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't used Scag, but I know they make good equipment. I have owned 3 Super Z's. I just bought one with the 27/60 XR7 deck. Hustler has done their homework on these. You simply get more bang for the buck. On the few minor issues I have had over the years, Hustler has backed their product up 100% on a one on one basis. Most manufacturers can't say that. The Super Z will have a better warranty , and likely more standard features than most. Again I am in no knockin Scag, I have seen the job they do and they do great. Dealer support should be a factor in your decision. Demo both and choose the mower that best fits your needs. I can tell you Hustler Super Z's, come standard with suspension seat, digital hour meter, best warranty I have seen, great support in the Hustler forum HERE, Slimed tires, fast ground speed, extremely simple change of highth system.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You arent comparing apples to apples here. 2nd off there is a big difference here the scag you talked about is liquid cooled & the other isnt. Naturally thats going to bring you more years of use. Both are top of the line commercial units,

narrow it down to price, warranty coverage & how available parts may be at a moments notice?
Old 05-13-2006, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The wildcat was air cooled, vertical shaft, belt drive, short wheel base, high mount fuel tanks like the hustler. The liquid cooled wild cat is just coming out. the turf tiger is liquid cooled, horizontal shaft engine, with a shaft driven deck, fuel tank mounted low in the belly and longer wheel base for better traction on hills. My brother-in-law runs a 27hp tiger with a 72" deck, and uses a 52" exmark lazer hp for the tight spots.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a Tiger and love it all around. I have like 850 hours on it with almost no problems at all. A few minor parst like a fly wheel or a pully and I broke one castor arm once also but everything so far has been very minor. There is almost no hill I cant climb either. I love the wide wheel base and the great traction in all conditions. All around these are great mowers with just about the best cut around.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Member

The prices are about the same foro both. Turf Tiger a few hundred more, but dealer is also 12 miles form my house. Can't say anything bad about either dealer so far. My trusty emark 60" z has finally really let me down. She's old and I'm ready. I was just trying to get one more year out of her. I've been using a friends z-master 60" 27 kohler. It's basically brand new. I don't like it. My old laser seems to handle much better. Seems like the Z isn't weighted right or something. Won't stop and when turning just seems to be locking up a wheel. The laser made it feel as though somene dropped anchor on that side and wham, right around. Seems to un-weight a side and she just skids. Just doesn't get the traction my laser did. Tires are worn about the same. Maybe just too much power. I don't know. How are the liquid cooled Kawi's(27)? So I'm buying one of the two. Thanks
Old 05-14-2006, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever Green
The prices are about the same foro both. Turf Tiger a few hundred more, but dealer is also 12 miles form my house. Can't say anything bad about either dealer so far. My trusty emark 60" z has finally really let me down. She's old and I'm ready. I was just trying to get one more year out of her. I've been using a friends z-master 60" 27 kohler. It's basically brand new. I don't like it. My old laser seems to handle much better. Seems like the Z isn't weighted right or something. Won't stop and when turning just seems to be locking up a wheel. The laser made it feel as though somene dropped anchor on that side and wham, right around. Seems to un-weight a side and she just skids. Just doesn't get the traction my laser did. Tires are worn about the same. Maybe just too much power. I don't know. How are the liquid cooled Kawi's(27)? So I'm buying one of the two. Thanks
Ever Green, I'm curious, if the Lazer has treated you well over the years why arent you considering another Lazer?
Old 05-14-2006, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Member

I think you should buy the Hustler Super Z with the XR7 deck and the flex forks!!!! This is the best riding and cutting mower I've ever had. I ve owned Scag Toro Dixie Chopper Exmark all of them. That new Hustler will BLOW them out of the water... I have over 200 hrs on my new 66inch Super Z with the flex forks. I love it. I am selling my Scag and Toro so I can buy another one. If you buy one and don't love it. I ll buy it from you. I cut 140 yrds in for days and I stay on that mower 12hrs a day and my back has never hurt. The cut is so great my customers even say something about it. Hope this helps.

JASON