Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-14-2006, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pulling larger pipe with a 410

BSME-

I didn't want to clutter up the other thread with this, so I started a new one.

The 410 has plenty of power to pull 2" but I would do it in short sections (60'-100' at a time), otherwise you risk tearing the puller off the pipe, or pulling a glue joint apart.

Also, pull any curved sections seperate, the friction from a curve on large PVC is really strong. I've lost pulls that I pulled 100', and then turned 45 degrees for 5'.

When you pull 2", you'll have to spend a bit of time working the plow line down, it will hump up pretty good because its displacing a lot of dirt.

Glue each pull up at least an hour before you pull it, as you want the glue to be fully set up before you put the stress of pulling on it. Also pull in the direction with the bells facing away from the 410 so there is no ridges to catch on anything.

We use IPS 725 Aqua Blue on pipe smaller than 1.5", this cures enough in about 2-3 minutes to pull, but we use the slower setting dark blue glue for larger pipe, so I'd wait an hour.

You'll want to dig a 2-3' long trench to start your pull in, this lets the PVC get to proper depth, otherwise it will be shallow for a ways.

Use a Chinese finger puller for 2.5", the 2" one barely fits on it, and fits 1.25" and 1.5" much better. False advertising in my opinion.

If you have any other questions let me know.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks...

the section I'd be able to pull is probably only 150'... and it is a open yard straight shot so I should be able to do it.

I'll let you know if I have any other questions. any ideas about the dangers of drip and the pump... besides the obvious clog issues
Old 05-14-2006, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSME
I'll let you know if I have any other questions. any ideas about the dangers of drip and the pump... besides the obvious clog issues
Use a pump start relay with a pressure switch as a emergency backup instead of just a pressure switch. You won't risk cycling the pump.

Alternatively (and really the only way if he wants lawn hydrants on the pump as well) you could use a pressure switch and a cycle stop valve.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The 410 has plenty of power for pulling larger pipe for short distances, depending on soil conditions, but either have a special bullet made on the blade, or invest in a towed bullet like some of the smaller machines use. You can get a 3" or 4" towed bullet to follow the standard 2" bullet and pulling 2 or 2 1/2" pipe becomes much easier.
....but still a bargain compared to anything else.
And I NEVER say I told you so out loud.
How many Hats can you wear?
Old 05-20-2006, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

this guy I'm doing the job for keeps bringing up concerns of me "dead heading" the pump by not pushing enough water since I'll be using some drip and what not...

Pumps really are one of my weaker areas... he has a 2hp pump... is this a valid concern of his?
Old 05-20-2006, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSME
this guy I'm doing the job for keeps bringing up concerns of me "dead heading" the pump by not pushing enough water since I'll be using some drip and what not...

Pumps really are one of my weaker areas... he has a 2hp pump... is this a valid concern of his?
You won't deadhead it because you will (hopefully) have a pressure switch installed, even if you did use a PS Relay

You will however cycle the pump, which will destroy it. Either combine the drip zone with a rotor zone, or have multiple drip zones run at a once to try to match the GPM output better.

Or use a cycle stop valve. I've never installed one, because we manage to size things according to pump size.

Or use a Pump Start Relay with a Pressure switch as a backup...Though that rules out installing any yard hydrants.

2 hp is in the ballpark of 25-30gpm isnt it?
Old 05-20-2006, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yea it should be about that... It's the pump he used for his old system so I'm designing it for what he was running before (which was about 21gpm).

I'm also using his old irritrol pump start relay... everything else is new though
Old 05-20-2006, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You could also use a drip-capable controller, and run the drip concurrently with the rotor zones.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots
You could also use a drip-capable controller, and run the drip concurrently with the rotor zones.

ooooooo..... nice boots... good call
Old 05-21-2006, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots
Wouldn't any controller that has multiple programs that can be run at the same time do the trick? Sprinklers on one program and drip on another simultaneous program?