Quote:
Originally Posted by milo
lol this business has no future..
Like I said some people get it, most people dont
Old 05-15-2006, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpocket
For a young guy it's grreat for the short term, a chance to make good money and put some away. But with the current market conditons around here, I can't see the landscape maintenance business being a long haul deal. With all the new companies out there, and the low prices we work for, to me it's not worth it.

The main thing is that there is no real big $$$ pay out in the end unless you expand in to other areas outside of just maint. The other day I was thinking to myself " I love this business I get a real kick out of it, but in the end it's just cute" What I mean is it's SOOOO entry level, b/c Im 20 yrs old, and I thought I was the only young buck with a 'sizeable operation', not true I found out that there are a couple outfits bigger than myself that are run by guys my age. SO im thinkin whats so special about me???? How can ANYBODY distinguish them selves???
With 3 employess, and a nice share of the residential market in a 10-15 mile radius "whats left to do in maintenance. I plan to grow more, but the profit margin will most likely go down.

I've also come to the conclusion that my lawn business WILL NOT pay for the type of Commercail prperty that I want 30,000 sq ft or so to selll mulch and top soil, park large trucks and what not.

In this area the lawn bus. is 'cute for a young guy' and LOOKS GREAT, but is it worth for the long haul??????? my guess is no.

the more routes you add you might lose money because instead of working on that route you need to hire someone and lose $500 a week but then you gotta think im making $500 less a week but im also not getting a drop of dirt on me for that maint route and can concentrate on other landscaping aspects

im 21 all i do is maintenance with small jobs here and there ...... eventually going to be adding another truck to go out my current one should be filled next year , then once name is established and have more experience going to want to do landscape construction...... then theres irrigation..... then ponds and waterfalls but by no means will i stop expanding the maintenance routes ever
Old 05-15-2006, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its up to you to build up the bank to retire on. There is money in it. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail. Startup costs are a ***** but its mostly down hill from there except monthly overhead and payroll.

6.5'x10.5' dual axle trailer-FULL of equip.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkeisala
If you're already second guessing the business, it probaby isn't for you. I have to admit, I've had my doubts but I've stuck with it and I've made huge strides in my business. Patience is a virtue and you can't jump into something and expect it to be huge right off the bat, you've got to stick with it. It takes time to get your name out there and to get recognition. The payoff comes towards the middle and end, not the beginning. Additionally, just because you can mow a lawn doesn't mean you can run a business. Mowing is simply your product and there's tons of people out there with a great product but no idea how to get it to the consumer. You're probably already quite good at mowing now learn everything you can about business.
Im not second guessing it, my business is doing great, steadily growing. Im just trying to keep my head out of my ass if you know what I mean. I've been told that as a young guy you look at the world with all kinds of "hopes & Dreams", instead of looking at things more realistically. All you have to is look around, see what kind of life other Lawn service owners live. You have the elite few and then the vast majority.

Chevy trucks, Exmark Lazers, enclosed trailers.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

you are in the wrong part of the country . come to florida -its lco paradise
Old 05-15-2006, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
You have the elite few and then the vast majority.
It's like that everywhere and in almost any business. That's because despite our differences, most people are the same. Most of the problem is exactly what dkeisala said. Just because you can do the work does not mean you can run a business. It takes an educated<(this doesn't neccessarily mean college educated, it means business and financially educated, even if you learned on your own) and entrepreneurial mind to make any business into a real success.
Some people have no desire or know-how to rise above the masses and do this.
Yeah, it's just lawn mowing, but it turns into whatever you make of it.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a bad business to get in if you are young. Mexican invasion illegals soon to be legals will drop the prices to rock bottom once they become legal and start their own business. Yes you can make a small living but must have a low cost lifestyle (used cars, small house,etc.) unless you get big. It is a good business for part-time work only.

Go to college or trade school. The more you make yourself a scarce commodity the more you will make and insulate yourself from the coming Bush invasion of illegals becoming legal.

Lots of big Lawn companies will be downsizing in a few years. Illegals are hear to stay if Bush and Congress have their way no matter how much the American public thinks they are crazy.

I suspect lawnsite will have a Spanish version in the next few years. I have already seen another site that is all Spanish.

Bill
Old 05-15-2006, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Here its not foreigners. Its your regular white americans that get off their "real job" at 3 and turn into lawn guys for the evening.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnBrother
It's like that everywhere and in almost any business. That's because despite our differences, most people are the same. Most of the problem is exactly what dkeisala said. Just because you can do the work does not mean you can run a business. It takes an educated<(this doesn't neccessarily mean college educated, it means business and financially educated, even if you learned on your own) and entrepreneurial mind to make any business into a real success.
Some people have no desire or know-how to rise above the masses and do this.
Yeah, it's just lawn mowing, but it turns into whatever you make of it.
Exactly...most businesses are not around very long, in any industry. But at least if you run one you have more control over things than working for The Man.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOLIE
Exactly...most businesses are not around very long, in any industry. But at least if you run one you have more control over things than working for The Man.

Ive often wondered why so many are out of business in one or two seasons and I think alot of it has to do with the attitude of having the biggest and best trucks and equipment right off the bat. They go out and buy a $30,000 truck with a $15,000 ZTR and they only have 8 yards.

Slow and steady growth is the best way to go. You learn things along the way without getting in over your head.
An entrepeneur is someone who takes a prospective employee to a hillside overlooking a great estate, points to the mansion, the swimming pool, the stables, the tennis courts and says, " If you come with me and work your butt off, someday, all of this WILL BE MINE" - Harvey Mackay