Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-15-2006, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROCUT1
Here its not foreigners. Its your regular white americans that get off their "real job" at 3 and turn into lawn guys for the evening.
Exactly....every white guy with a pick up and a cigarrette butt hanging is pulling a second hand lazer in the evening.

Chevy trucks, Exmark Lazers, enclosed trailers.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Sooo Glad I Live In Florida!!!!!!
Old 05-15-2006, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Here its not foreigners. Its your regular white Americans that get off their "real job" at 3 and turn into lawn guys for the evening.

"Exactly....every white guy with a pick up and a cigarette butt hanging is pulling a second hand Lazar in the evening."

Well here we go again. I am a part timer LCO. I am a full time firefighter and a part time lawn guy. I am not your problem. There is a lot of grass out there to cut. I decided to do it part time. I can pay for my kids college with this business. I am legal. I am incorporated and pay taxes, insurance, and all the payroll stuff (My wife makes sure of it.) I enjoy doing this. It take no brains to cut a lawn and i like it that way. I do small lawn renovations too. I have 2 part -time employees that are also firefighters.

Now that you know about me I AM NOT YOUR PROBLEM. If you can not make it in this business it is not my fault nor anybody else's. Not the immigrant, the part-timer, or the big LCO out there. This is America, the land of opportunity, work hard and weep what you sow. Educate yourself in every aspect of the business. Worry about yourself and you will succeed. I only have 42 accounts, how can I be your problem. And yes I have used equipment. I can figure out how to fix it or pay someone to do it lol.

DSL1 wrote "Go to college or trade school. The more you make yourself a scarce commodity the more you will make and insulate yourself from the coming Bush invasion of illegals becoming legal."Lots of big Lawn companies will be downsizing in a few years. Illegals are hear to stay if Bush and Congress have their way no matter how much the American public thinks they are crazy."

And to DSL1 Busch is actually against illegals becoming citizens. He wants illegals to be fines and/or jailed before becoming citizens since they broke the law. Again educate yourself before commenting.
52" ferris with velky 17HP Kaw
61" Great Dane ZTR 26HP Kaw
2 echo trimmers
echo hand help blower
redmax backpack blower
crapsman edger
echo hedge trimmer
chainsaws
Crapsman tiller
Blue Bird aerator
NOT ONE ENGINE THAT TAKES THE SAME SPARKPLUG
Old 05-15-2006, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmbo407
Here its not foreigners. Its your regular white Americans that get off their "real job" at 3 and turn into lawn guys for the evening.

"Exactly....every white guy with a pick up and a cigarette butt hanging is pulling a second hand Lazar in the evening."

Well here we go again. I am a part timer LCO. I am a full time firefighter and a part time lawn guy. I am not your problem. There is a lot of grass out there to cut. I decided to do it part time. I can pay for my kids college with this business. I am legal. I am incorporated and pay taxes, insurance, and all the payroll stuff (My wife makes sure of it.) I enjoy doing this. It take no brains to cut a lawn and i like it that way. I do small lawn renovations too. I have 2 part -time employees that are also firefighters.

Now that you know about me I AM NOT YOUR PROBLEM. If you can not make it in this business it is not my fault nor anybody else's. Not the immigrant, the part-timer, or the big LCO out there. This is America, the land of opportunity, work hard and weep what you sow. Educate yourself in every aspect of the business. Worry about yourself and you will succeed. I only have 42 accounts, how can I be your problem. And yes I have used equipment. I can figure out how to fix it or pay someone to do it lol.

DSL1 wrote "Go to college or trade school. The more you make yourself a scarce commodity the more you will make and insulate yourself from the coming Bush invasion of illegals becoming legal."Lots of big Lawn companies will be downsizing in a few years. Illegals are hear to stay if Bush and Congress have their way no matter how much the American public thinks they are crazy."

And to DSL1 Busch is actually against illegals becoming citizens. He wants illegals to be fines and/or jailed before becoming citizens since they broke the law. Again educate yourself before commenting.
Obviously you were offended by my post, sorry if you were, but im not really concerned with ppl. who do this parttime to make extra $$$. I said it before my business is doing very good, I just don't see anything exceptoinally great coming in the future. And FYI im not concerned about not making it in this business I have that part covered.

I just think that ppl. on here have a false perception of what is really attainable. Like when you are a kid mommy tells you "You can be anything you want to be when you grow up, maybe a doctor, or the President of the United States" when you get older you realize that you can't be ANYTHING. Same goes for the subject we are talking about. Market conditions determine what is possible in your business. So for a someone to say "ONe Day im gonna have the biggest lawn comapny in the area, and we are going to have the highest prices and Im gonna be a millionare, and noone is gonna take my work, Bla Bla Bla.... Thats what im complaining about. alot of us are fooling ourselves into thinking there is some bright future mowing lawns, when it's gonna get alot worse b4 it gets better

Old 05-15-2006, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=jimmbo407]
If you can not make it in this business it is not my fault nor anybody else's. Not the immigrant, the part-timer, or the big LCO out there. This is America, the land of opportunity, work hard and weep what you sow. Educate yourself in every aspect of the business. Worry about yourself and you will succeed.
QUOTE]
Well said Jimbo
Old 05-15-2006, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've always said there are two types of people in the lawn business....the ones getting in.....and the ones getting out......
Old 05-15-2006, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would suggest you read a book about the e-myth.

in this case, the "E" is entrepeneur. I liked mowing. for about 2 months. Then I figured out how to turn it into a business.

Treat it like a business. Figure out a way to make your customer's expereience repeatable. Give them good value, whatever that means.

The biggest challenge is how to plug in new employees and make them productive immediately.

A goal for this year is to hire two new employees, and have them trained and productive wihtout my involvement within a week. These two employees will each be their own crew, mowoing their own routes
Old 05-15-2006, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmbo407
Busch is actually against illegals becoming citizens. He wants illegals to be fines and/or jailed before becoming citizens since they broke the law. Again educate yourself before commenting.
Oh man have you got a lot to learn about politics. If Bush is so concerned then he would have stopped illegals at the border long time ago. Bush and Congress with all their hoops to become a citizen with the latest bill is just for show to the public. We are talking about a government who could not get Katrina right and can't keep illegals from crossing the border and many other things they mess up and all of sudden were suppose to believe they can enforce all those crazy hoops to become a citizen. Give me a break. Just amnesty all the way.

The American public is over 70% telling Bush to stop the illegals at the border and finally he is doing something about the border. We will see how this all washes out since talk is cheap especially with politicians of both parties.

Both parties get their biggest money from big business and little business (LCO's,etc.) and they want cheap labor. Business will hire illegals until Bush gets serious and fine heavily any business owner who hires illegals. Social Security Administration can check real quick ssn's but they don't want the INS to access their computer systems.

Sure Bush says the write things but the government could care less about illegals as long as they make their donors (i.e. big business) happy.

Notice the Democrats are not saying a thing about illegals since the golden rule in politics is if your enemy (i.e. Republicans) are shooting themselves in the foot then don't step in and get your foot shot at too. the Republicans have been loosing their base over the illegals issues and and the democrats are happy Bush's rating is down to 29%.

Again educate yourself before commenting and quit listening to everything the union tells you.

Bill
Old 05-15-2006, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I knew some ppl. would do this

Funny how ppl. take my saying that this bus. doesn't have a future in to me saying that im not doin well or can't make it. Trust me thats not the case. Thanks to everyone who understands where im coming from/talking about.

As of now im on the 5 year plan; grow to about 200 accounts (2 crews), then either sell, or hire a fulltime foreman/president to run my business. while this is taking place I will start another business ( I won't disguse what kind) that is also competetive, but anybody can't do, b/c it's not entry level in any aspect, and requires much more resources, and $$$ to get into. this will vurtually eliminate any moonlighters, or parttimers looking to pick up extra money. ust won't be doable for them.

I've been thinking about this for awhile, and has just recently seemed more doable. I can't stand being in a business where my competiton is ANY and EVERYBODY.

Old 05-15-2006, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLS1
Oh man have you got a lot to learn about politics. If Bush is so concerned then he would have stopped illegals at the border long time ago. Bush and Congress with all their hoops to become a citizen with the latest bill is just for show to the public. We are talking about a government who could not get Katrina right and can't keep illegals from crossing the border and many other things they mess up and all of sudden were suppose to believe they can enforce all those crazy hoops to become a citizen. Give me a break. Just amnesty all the way.

The American public is over 70% telling Bush to stop the illegals at the border and finally he is doing something about the border. We will see how this all washes out since talk is cheap especially with politicians of both parties.

Both parties get their biggest money from big business and little business (LCO's,etc.) and they want cheap labor. Business will hire illegals until Bush gets serious and fine heavily any business owner who hires illegals. Social Security Administration can check real quick ssn's but they don't want the INS to access their computer systems.

Sure Bush says the write things but the government could care less about illegals as long as they make their donors (i.e. big business) happy.

Notice the Democrats are not saying a thing about illegals since the golden rule in politics is if your enemy (i.e. Republicans) are shooting themselves in the foot then don't step in and get your foot shot at too. the Republicans have been loosing their base over the illegals issues and and the democrats are happy Bush's rating is down to 29%.

Again educate yourself before commenting and quit listening to everything the union tells you.
Well said. In Washington state, I hire someone and I'm required to report that person to DSHS immediately upon hire so they can determine whether or not they owe back child support and they know within days whether or not that person. Yet when you have a new hire fill out an I-9, the only thing you're required to do is slip it in your filing cabinet and forget about it.