Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-15-2006, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Member

What scares me long term about this business is that more and more elderly are moving into retirement communities. I think that is a major change from even 10 years ago.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpocket
Funny how ppl. take my saying that this bus. doesn't have a future in to me saying that im not doin well or can't make it. Trust me thats not the case. Thanks to everyone who understands where im coming from/talking about.

As of now im on the 5 year plan; grow to about 200 accounts (2 crews), then either sell, or hire a fulltime foreman/president to run my business. while this is taking place I will start another business ( I won't disguse what kind) that is also competetive, but anybody can't do, b/c it's not entry level in any aspect, and requires much more resources, and $$$ to get into. this will vurtually eliminate any moonlighters, or parttimers looking to pick up extra money. ust won't be doable for them.

I've been thinking about this for awhile, and has just recently seemed more doable. I can't stand being in a business where my competiton is ANY and EVERYBODY.
I think if you would have included this information about your 5 year plan, people wouldn't have taken what you said wrong. I just read the whole post and I thought from your first post that you were thinking that there wasn't much hope in this business even though you said you were doing well. I'm new to the business and maybe I don't know what I'm talking about yet but I think you can be as big or as small as you want in this business. Grass is everywhere and so are the customers. It sounds like your doing well and should be proud of what you've accomplished.

I'm curious what your next business is going to be.

Good luck and stay positive.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4LLAWNSINC
What scares me long term about this business is that more and more elderly are moving into retirement communities. I think that is a major change from even 10 years ago.
The population is aging which means even more people will be looking for lawn service. Just because the elderly are moving into retirement homes doesn't mean the house they used to live in vanishes, someone is gonna have to take care of it.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Whether you think you can or can't, Jpocket, MTR, DLS1, you're absolutely right.
Life is a state of mind.

Do business in the same indistinguishable way that every other competitor in town does their business - and your lot in life is with them. (Do you really think it's any different a level of competition in the other building trades ?)

Address and serve markets, needs, niches that no other competitor has addressed, and they can't flippin' touch you and your streams of cashflow.
Just one or two improvements in a product, service, or a way to do business is all it takes to dramatically position a business for new growth.

Bring us your lowballers, part-timers, kids, and campesinos - let them behold, take notes, imitate, and fold or be bought-out!
Are you sure you are charging enough to incl. eqpt.maint./rental/lease/replacement, ins., licens'g, marktg., mat'ls., payroll, legal, permits, postage, customer retention, safety eqpt., taxes, telephony and uniformed work clothes into what you do everyday to last you the next 10 years ?
Ted Nugent: "God, Guns and Rock & Roll"; "The 5 Boxes of Freedom": Soap, Ballot, Witness, Jury, Cartridges Citizens, Jurors, Voters, Volunteers.

Last edited by SOMM; 05-15-2006 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=howardsells2000]
I'm curious what your next business is going to be.QUOTE]

Re-read his first post.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=dkeisala]
Quote:
Originally Posted by howardsells2000
I'm curious what your next business is going to be.QUOTE]

Re-read his first post.
I guess by the time I got to the end of the post, I had forgot he had said that.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

What makes you stand out is that year after year your still here and the low ballers come and go, its the same anywhere you go. Yes they will buy fancy equip and get cust but next year where are they??? If you get every job your doing something wrong, it took me some time to realize this, if you have been around for years your doing something right, mow on
Old 05-15-2006, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=howardsells2000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkeisala

I guess by the time I got to the end of the post, I had forgot he had said that.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.
Me either, heck, even he forgot he mentioned it.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

guess what I bought last week????

two cement mixer trucks. WTF?????

Well, I'm turning one into a dump truck. should have about 8,000 bucks into a 12 yard dump truck. Not bad.

The other will be a custom soil aid machine. We will mix soils to solve your specific top soil needs. Lime, sand, mulch, paper mulch, fertilizer, peat, whatever you need, we will thoroughly mix for only 9 dollars a cubic foot.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpocket
It's different for the older guys who have been around for 20 yrs. They usualy have a nice niche market, and a well known name. They will make it, and have made the money in this bus. when there was stilll money to be made.
Very well said.

So you have to wait until you're 40 years old like me lol there is nothing that can be done to speed up the passing of this time. One can not possibly measure the success or greatness of this business in 2-3 years when it took me closer to 4-5 years before I saw the true potential (I saw it, not realized, I just saw it last year)... That is not to say some young entrepreneurs won't see it sooner, but time (measured in years) is one aspect of business that can not be circumvented, at least in most cases, years means many years and not just a few.

You really have to be in this for the long haul, which is why we keep trying to tell the young oh-we-are-so-excited bucks who think they're just going to jump into this and make some MONEY to slow down before they hurt themselves.

In most cases you are correct, it's still hard work and long hours.
Today it's even worse, the competition sizzles fiercely but to those of us who have been around, it doesn't phase me as I still gross more money with every passing year, but it does get tougher, every year it gets harder and harder.
Such is life, you got to do this for the love of it and not just for the money.

Last edited by topsites; 05-16-2006 at 12:29 AM.