Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-16-2006, 02:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Take away all the part-timers on this site who are registered and post regularly and this site would be a ghost town which says their isn't much money to made in this business unless you want to stay poor.

Oh sure their are rare exceptions if you have several crews and charge a good price per yard.

This business is going down hill fast with all the illegals that Bush and Congress are about to make legal in a few years. The best thing to do if you are young is get a college education or tech school that illegals (soon to be legal) won't get into. Get a degree that can't be outsourced to mexico,china,india. Teaching degrees sound better and better all the time if you can stand the politics and kids that get by with everything now.

Bill
Old 05-16-2006, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have said that from day one..There is no real big money in mowing grass.. You need to expand your business by offering other services not just fertilizer but paver's, water features, excavating, landscaping, the list goes on. Mowing grass is just a very small part of revenue that comes in each month.. Work on you business plan and you can make great money in this field..
Old 05-16-2006, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysgreener
I have said that from day one..There is no real big money in mowing grass.. You need to expand your business by offering other services not just fertilizer but paver's, water features, excavating, landscaping, the list goes on. Mowing grass is just a very small part of revenue that comes in each month.. Work on you business plan and you can make great money in this field..
Your right, but I think I am going to get away from the green industry as a whole in my next venture, execpt for selling mulch topsoil , stone (deliveries).

Like today it's pouring down raining, same yesterday. The rest of the week is fulll to the brim, and I guess I'll be out Mon-Tues maybe wednesdays revenue.

Chevy trucks, Exmark Lazers, enclosed trailers.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The problem with a discussion like this is the lack of a basis.
We are all in it for money (as well as the guys working for another co. or from another country) But what is money.
1 guy can make 20K at this and feel he his King of everything while another might bring home 100K and feel he is going broke.
The bottom line is to please yourself and make a decision based on YOUR needs only.
Jpocket, Good luck in whatever you do,
Old 05-16-2006, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMLAWN
The problem with a discussion like this is the lack of a basis.
We are all in it for money (as well as the guys working for another co. or from another country) But what is money.
1 guy can make 20K at this and feel he his King of everything while another might bring home 100K and feel he is going broke.
The bottom line is to please yourself and make a decision based on YOUR needs only.
Jpocket, Good luck in whatever you do,
Lol..thanks man. Your right someone can make $20,000 net and feel like a king. Alot of those around here. You can't buy a piece of property on that kinda money

Old 05-16-2006, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Every Business has its ups and downs. The thing to remember is "Business is Business." Learn to run a business, I don't mean putting out flyers. I mean running your business. Run it like you have 20 employees every day. Even if it’s just you. Grow your business and ask questions. Why did you get into this business? Has that reason changed? Are you profitable? Adjust your business accordingly. Don't second guess yourself. But always be logical about your life. In America there is a Billion ways to make money. Try as many as it takes to make you happy. Just my opinion in a sea of many. Good Luck, T.M.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This entire thread belongs in the General Industry Discussions. It has zero place in the booming business arena of Lawnsite’s Commercial Lawn Mowing category and does a severe disservice to Lawnsite’s membership who have growing mowing and full-service landscape businesses. More than 25% of any population on the face of THE EARTH’S income is housing or housing related maintenance.

Brickmann and Valley Crest, for example, continue to this day mowing hundreds of thousands acres of apartments, condominiums, and developments “around” the small thinkers posting here who say “it can’t be done” (while yet this may be true for the overcaffeinated “naysayers” who incessantly post this thread).

We’re wondering what would happen if these naysayers spent more time posting their own respective businesses’ advertisements in their local newspapers than even posting thousands of posts within a few year span of time on Lawnsite ?
(Ever wonder about the AMOUNT of posts you see on Lawnsite from Brickmann or Valley Crest, for example, in relation to the AMOUNT of money they rake in??)

To recap:

DLS1: “Oh sure their are rare exceptions if you have several crews and charge a good price per yard. This business is going down hill fast with all the illegals that Bush and Congress are about to make legal in a few years.”
[ LIONS AND TIGERS AND BEARS, OH MY!! LIONS AND TIGERS AND BEARS!!!!!!!!]

Jpocket: “Your right someone can make $20,000 net and feel like a king. Alot of those around here. You can't buy a piece of property on that kinda money”
[ SURE YOU CAN’T…IF YOU’RE ONLY PAYING ‘RETAIL’ FOR THE PROPERTY!!!!!
ANY DAY OF THE WEEK REHABBERS AND THEIR PARTNERS & SUBS(that’s what we do during the long, cruel Winter) BUY DISTRESSED PROPERTY FROM OWNERS LOOKING FOR AN ‘OUT’, OR FROM MUNICIPAL OR GOVERNMENT RECLAIMED PROPERTY FOR LESS THAN 10% OF THE FULLY-REHABBED, FULL-MARKET VALUE (or for zero-cash, with secured or unsecured Notes of Intent To Restore the property to full market value in 12 months, where established lenders buy into this kind deal within 45 days thereafter).

This thread is nothing more than a complaint session attempting to departmentalize itself against some unseen ‘enemy’ nonexistent in the Green Industry. Watch the Dow, and the Wall Street reports if you don’t believe how “BOOMING” The World economy is doing lately. Best of Luck improving your business leadership mindset.

Ronald Reagan: “The problem (with American’s) is that we don’t dream Big Enough!”

Flippin’ Hey post #7 Larry, post#37 cmc, and post #46 Dads!
JPocket and DLS1 you ought to both be ashamed of yourselves for posting this in Commercial Lawn Mowing, especially at this time of year ! For your own sakes, have enough self respect to get a grip, please, thank you!
Attached Images

Are you sure you are charging enough to incl. eqpt.maint./rental/lease/replacement, ins., licens'g, marktg., mat'ls., payroll, legal, permits, postage, customer retention, safety eqpt., taxes, telephony and uniformed work clothes into what you do everyday to last you the next 10 years ?
Ted Nugent: "God, Guns and Rock & Roll"; "The 5 Boxes of Freedom": Soap, Ballot, Witness, Jury, Cartridges Citizens, Jurors, Voters, Volunteers.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMM
This entire thread belongs in the General Industry Discussions. It has zero place in the booming business arena of Lawnsite’s Commercial Lawn Mowing category and does a severe disservice to Lawnsite’s membership who have growing mowing and full-service landscape businesses. More than 25% of any population on the face of THE EARTH’S income is housing or housing related maintenance.

Brickmann and Valley Crest, for example, continue to this day mowing hundreds of thousands acres of apartments, condominiums, and developments “around” the small thinkers posting here who say “it can’t be done” (while yet this may be true for the overcaffeinated “naysayers” who incessantly post this thread).

We’re wondering what would happen if these naysayers spent more time posting their own respective businesses’ advertisements in their local newspapers than even posting thousands of posts within a few year span of time on Lawnsite ?
(Ever wonder about the AMOUNT of posts you see on Lawnsite from Brickmann or Valley Crest, for example, in relation to the AMOUNT of money they rake in??)

To recap:

DLS1: “Oh sure their are rare exceptions if you have several crews and charge a good price per yard. This business is going down hill fast with all the illegals that Bush and Congress are about to make legal in a few years.”
[ LIONS AND TIGERS AND BEARS, OH MY!! LIONS AND TIGERS AND BEARS!!!!!!!!]

Jpocket: “Your right someone can make $20,000 net and feel like a king. Alot of those around here. You can't buy a piece of property on that kinda money”
[ SURE YOU CAN’T…IF YOU’RE ONLY PAYING ‘RETAIL’ FOR THE PROPERTY!!!!!
ANY DAY OF THE WEEK REHABBERS AND THEIR PARTNERS & SUBS(that’s what we do during the long, cruel Winter) BUY DISTRESSED PROPERTY FROM OWNERS LOOKING FOR AN ‘OUT’, OR FROM MUNICIPAL OR GOVERNMENT RECLAIMED PROPERTY FOR LESS THAN 10% OF THE FULLY-REHABBED, FULL-MARKET VALUE (or for zero-cash, with secured or unsecured Notes of Intent To Restore the property to full market value in 12 months, where established lenders buy into this kind deal within 45 days thereafter).

This thread is nothing more than a complaint session attempting to departmentalize itself against some unseen ‘enemy’ nonexistent in the Green Industry. Watch the Dow, and the Wall Street reports if you don’t believe how “BOOMING” The World economy is doing lately. Best of Luck improving your business leadership mindset.

Ronald Reagan: “The problem (with American’s) is that we don’t dream Big Enough!”

Flippin’ Hey post #7 Larry, post#37 cmc, and post #46 Dads!
JPocket and DLS1 you ought to both be ashamed of yourselves for posting this in Commercial Lawn Mowing, especially at this time of year ! For your own sakes, have enough self respect to get a grip, please, thank you!

All you just did was post your PERSONAL OPINION.......BRICKMAN and VALLEY CREST have nothing to do with a working class guy trying to bulid a business and make a living mowing 120 or so lawns a week. This forum is for ppl. to vent, and talk about issues thatb are relavent to them

Why should I be ashamed???????? some guys really need to hear stuff like this so they can see ALL sides of being in this business. Not just the peachy I got 50 new customers crap that we hear all the time.

And I don't do newspaper adds they are cheesy to me

Old 05-16-2006, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

what i try telling everyone you can have 10 degrees in landscaping and 30 years experience but that does not mean you should be running a legit business

You need to have a business sense on how to run a company and entrenpeneurship(??) in your blood before you think you can start landscaping business if you cant do it then its the perfect reason to start a partnership with someone who does
Old 05-16-2006, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpocket
For a young guy it's grreat for the short term, a chance to make good money and put some away. But with the current market conditons around here, I can't see the landscape maintenance business being a long haul deal. With all the new companies out there, and the low prices we work for, to me it's not worth it.

The main thing is that there is no real big $$$ pay out in the end unless you expand in to other areas outside of just maint. The other day I was thinking to myself " I love this business I get a real kick out of it, but in the end it's just cute" What I mean is it's SOOOO entry level, b/c Im 20 yrs old, and I thought I was the only young buck with a 'sizeable operation', not true I found out that there are a couple outfits bigger than myself that are run by guys my age. SO im thinkin whats so special about me???? How can ANYBODY distinguish them selves???
With 3 employess, and a nice share of the residential market in a 10-15 mile radius "whats left to do in maintenance. I plan to grow more, but the profit margin will most likely go down.

I've also come to the conclusion that my lawn business WILL NOT pay for the type of Commercail prperty that I want 30,000 sq ft or so to selll mulch and top soil, park large trucks and what not.

In this area the lawn bus. is 'cute for a young guy' and LOOKS GREAT, but is it worth for the long haul??????? my guess is no.
Speak for yourself - and only for your self.
Your opinion is just that - only yours'.
This industry is wide open provided you have the technical means and the ability to produce.
You can say what ever you are going to about the industry not paying for what YOU want - however you are missing the point!
Learn how to run a business and it will pay for how little or great your ability is.
From your post, it would be a little.