Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-18-2007, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Member

You can only go as far in business as you want to go. In 90% percent of business as you expand your profit margin decreses its just part of the whole business cycle. You are already putting yourself at a disadvantage in the long run. I believe any one person can get as big as they want to get.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I guess this proves it's not as easy as it looks?

Last edited by topsites; 02-18-2007 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thumbs up

Anybody can think of a reason to stay in bed only those who want to separte themselves from the rest find a reason to get out of bed and make some coin. This business is hard at first you have to be stict with your money and your time but it will pay off.
Edging by hand solo only doing a couple landscape jobs a year. Buying the wrong equipment and not allowing room to grow into it and the general learning curve of life. Other than that what? Now with a bed edger a couple landscape jobs are done every week. I know what mowers do what and really work for my set up. My suppliers fit into the plan. retirement accts. set up max out every year. It is all routine after you get the ball rolling a few tweaks here and there.

My life style, wife who is great works hard saves money helps around the house and has a real perspective on life. No kids yet soon, dogs, big tv, nice new house, commercial equip is always in good shape, own lots of land no neighbors! I don't drink don't go out much we have our own theater we put in our house I also cook home made meals another favorite of mine. I spend my free time mowing and trimming and taking care of our 70 acers.Help my family and friends as much as possible. Oh yeah every winter a hella long vacation of nothing but Football! Thanksgiving to March. I think this life style is great especially for me it is everything I could want out of life. I am in good shape and get a nice tan also a benefit!

Or you can work for someone else who will only pay you enough to keep coming back for more of their B.S.

Down falls
One I am tired at the end of the day in the summer
Winter weight gain
No long summer vacations

Don't blame mexicans they are only here becasue some else is to lazy to do it.
Lowballers they eliminate themselves in amatter of a year or 2
part timers can only acquire so much work hence part timers
Fuel prices hey that affects everyone

Rember this I heard it a long time ago,

People only go into business for themselves because they think they know a better way to do it than the next guy.

Details make money!
Old 02-18-2007, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Knowing what I know after so many years in the business. I would choose another field.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket View Post
Obviously you were offended by my post, sorry if you were, but im not really concerned with ppl. who do this part time to make extra $$$. I said it before my business is doing very good, I just don't see anything exceptionally great coming in the future. And FYI im not concerned about not making it in this business I have that part covered.

I just think that ppl. on here have a false perception of what is really attainable. Like when you are a kid mommy tells you "You can be anything you want to be when you grow up, maybe a doctor, or the President of the United States" when you get older you realize that you can't be ANYTHING. Same goes for the subject we are talking about. Market conditions determine what is possible in your business. So for a someone to say "One Day im gonna have the biggest lawn company in the area, and we are going to have the highest prices and Im gonna be a millionaire, and no one is gonna take my work, Bla Bla Bla.... That's what im complaining about. a lot of us are fooling ourselves into thinking there is some bright future mowing lawns, when it's gonna get a lot worse b4 it gets better
I'm not going to comment too much on this thread ... but I speak only from my experience in life.

I had that corporate job that was hard to fill on any day that I did not work. In fact, I worked 5 years one time without a vacation (by my choice), and gave up 27 weeks of vacation because it was just so difficult to replace me when I wasn't there ... and my work had, HAD to be done everyday for our company to even operate the next day. You know what though ... when you leave, they go on. They find someone else to replace you ... they have no choice.

Now ... what life is really about. It's not about becoming President if you want to ... or that big house with the long drive, back off the road. It's not about a second home to go off to and lay around like some rich guy with nothing he HAS to do that day. It's about providing a home for your kids, your family ... taking them to a game, the circus, the amusement park. Take them camping, find frogs, fish. Take them trick-or-treating on Halloween and watch them laugh and smile. Buy them ice cream on a hot summer day ... or take them to THEIR favorite restaurante, even if it's not what you want.

You see my friend ... it's not all about what you want out of life ... but about what you can look back at and say ... this is what I have and had. When you see that your kids had decent clothes to wear to school, and had good friends to play with ... and got to do the family things in life that we in America take for granted so often ... that is what makes a life worth looking back on.

Life is what we make it .. no matter what it is. If you're truly not happy doing this ... then by all means do something else. There is another lawn guy out there who will gobble up all of your accounts in a heartbeat next year ... and you won't be missed at all. People want their lawns maintained, and they are going to have them done no matter what. It's up to you if you want to be the one getting paid to do them. The grass is always going to grow.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do ... make it right for you .... and in the future ... for your family. After all ... family and God is what it's all about.

Proud Supporter of:
Hustler mowers ~ Xtreme racks ~ STHIL products
Old 02-19-2007, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Gemma View Post
Anybody can think of a reason to stay in bed only those who want to separate themselves from the rest find a reason to get out of bed and make some coin. This business is hard at first you have to be strict with your money and your time but it will pay off.
Edging by hand solo only doing a couple landscape jobs a year. Buying the wrong equipment and not allowing room to grow into it and the general learning curve of life. Other than that what? Now with a bed edger a couple landscape jobs are done every week. I know what mowers do what and really work for my set up. My suppliers fit into the plan. retirement accts. set up max out every year. It is all routine after you get the ball rolling a few tweaks here and there.

My life style, wife who is great works hard saves money helps around the house and has a real perspective on life. No kids yet soon, dogs, big tv, nice new house, commercial equip is always in good shape, own lots of land no neighbors! I don't drink don't go out much we have our own theater we put in our house I also cook home made meals another favorite of mine. I spend my free time mowing and trimming and taking care of our 70 acers.Help my family and friends as much as possible. Oh yeah every winter a hella long vacation of nothing but Football! Thanksgiving to March. I think this life style is great especially for me it is everything I could want out of life. I am in good shape and get a nice tan also a benefit!

Or you can work for someone else who will only pay you enough to keep coming back for more of their B.S.

Down falls
One I am tired at the end of the day in the summer
Winter weight gain
No long summer vacations

Don't blame Mexicans they are only here because some else is to lazy to do it.
Lowballers they eliminate themselves in a matter of a year or 2
part timers can only acquire so much work hence part timers
Fuel prices hey that affects everyone

Remember this I heard it a long time ago,

People only go into business for themselves because they think they know a better way to do it than the next guy.
There is a lot of truth in the above post. This shows us:
  • You have to want it.
  • You have to realize it takes work to get it.
  • A good understanding of why there are so many illegals doing this.
  • Understanding why part-timers and low-ballers won't affect your business plan.
Things you will need for success:
  • A certain amount of business sense.
  • Dedication
  • Determination
  • Self discipline - you have to get out of bed in the morning -
  • Ability to budget your money - personally and business wise.
  • Be determined that you ARE going to make it.

Proud Supporter of:
Hustler mowers ~ Xtreme racks ~ STHIL products
Old 02-19-2007, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks man for the compliment like anythign in life you only get out of it what you put in it. Plus a small percentage of luck or help!

Also why is their a thumbs up on my post? Anybody Know!

Details make money!
Old 02-20-2007, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmiller100 View Post

A goal for this year is to hire two new employees, and have them trained and productive wihtout my involvement within a week. These two employees will each be their own crew, mowoing their own routes
Good luck with that.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassaholic View Post
I just read all 6 pages of this thread and had to reply. I agree with the guys who wonder if it's worth it and I also see the other "you can do it if you work hard" point of view. I personally can't stand companies like Brickmann and in my neck of the woods Groundmasters. These companies are nothing but illegal Mexican immigrants who will work very hard and do exactly as their told because they are here illegaly. If it weren't for all the Mexicans, Groundmasters would have to scale way back because they would end up having the same problem I do.That problem is finding good help. Finding people who will work and give a crap about what they are doing for less than 12,13 dollars an hour seems to be impossible. Then along come the Mexicans who will work for whatever your willing to pay them and like it! I guess the real problem is that I don't speak Spanish, and will only hire people who are legal citizens of this country. I've been in business since 1990 and am doing pretty well. Lately I've been underbid by the larger companies that I see nothing but Mexicans working for. I attribute the cheaper prices to the cheaper labor rates of the Mexicans. I am so tempted to cave in and start hiring the Mexicans. If you can't beat em, join em.
Do you really think that big, established companies would fully staff their companies with an illegal workforce? I assure you, you are quite wrong. The Landscape Industry is one of the largest users of the H2B Visa. The program gives employers in our industry access to a legal workforce since no one in this country is willing to do the work. The Hispanic employees in the U.S. on H2B Visas are hard working people who are only in our country to make enough money to support their families in Mexico. If no one in this country wants the work, what would you expect companies in our industry to do? Your attitude towards "Mexicans" is ignorant, you should think about what this country would be like without them.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Midwestmow,
I stand corrected. You are right. I was unaware of the H2B program when I posted that. I learned of the program after posting that and had forgot I said that on here. I hear all the crap on the news about the flood of illegal immigrants into the country. All the media talks about is how we can't do anything about it. When I see crew after crew of Mexicans I just assumed that most were here illegally but for some reason the government does nothing about it.I am just frustrated because I have a tough time finding good help every year. The work is definitely there for me, but it seems to get tougher and tougher to find good help. When I see all of the big companies in my area employing mostly Mexican workers it frustrates me even more. I have lost a couple accounts to one of these big companies due to their price being lower. Somehow, they can afford to send more employees to the site than I can and charge less. I equate that to their labor costs being lower due to the Mexican workers that will work for less.Who knows, Maybe I should sign up to get some Mexicans through the H2B program. I honestly believe we should just make these immigrants legal. That way everyone can be held accountable for paying taxes and obeying the laws of the United States. A friend of mine from High school was murdered at a bar by an illegal immigrant last year. After this guy was caught it turns out he had been deported once before for murder in Tennessee. Until now I didn't realize that the United States will not put an Illegal immigrant in prison. We just deport them and let their gov. deal with them. Turns out Mexico doesn't care. This guy gets back across the border, comes to Ohio, and ends up stabbing my friend to death over some kind of argument at a bar. I know the whole murder thing has nothing to do with Mexicans working for Landscapers. I just wanted to give you a better understanding of where I'm coming from.