Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-20-2001, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you guys bid pond installs?

I was looking into offering this service as a specialty because I dont know of anyone in the area who does. How would you price for something like this? I had planned on using all aquascape kits and have to find a hook up on the stone.

Any suggestions, ideas or comments?
Old 05-21-2001, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pricing ponds and water features is difficult. Experience is the best teacher. One thing is to estimate the material used and the next thing is the time to install. Over estimate your time by a lot. I have found that when you deal with moving water it can take a lot longer than you estimated to get it moving the way and where you want it to espeacially if you use natural stone. It is the detail work that takes a lot of time not the initial construction,
Old 05-21-2001, 03:39 PM

One suggestion for your first pond: If possible put one in at your house or a very good customer's house. This will allow you to play around a little and you'll have more understanding while fixing some of the mistakes that may pop up. It will also allow you to get a real good idea of how long it will take you to install before you start estimating for other customers.

Conor
Old 05-21-2001, 06:38 PM
Banned

Ponds seem to be VERY expensive to me.It seems to be around $30-45 per square foot. Would this be in line with others are seeing?
Old 05-23-2001, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I to am looking into offering this service! Guess what mom is getting for a late mothers day present!! You got it a pond! That way i can take as much time as i need and really get the idea of it!! And she loves the idea so we both make out on the deal!!
Old 06-20-2001, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Same here.I 'm installing a 16x 11 myself at my home now.Let me know how it turns out.

XW2200,XW2401,2006 XT3300 72 in,2013 Classic 3360;John Deere Gs30 Walkbehind,'85 Chevy 1 ton,03Chevy 3/4 ton,10 ft and 16 ft trailers,Redmax,Honda, and Shindaiwa handhelds
Old 06-20-2001, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As has been said experience is one of the best ways to see what it takes to do the pond. Aquascapes has formulas for calculating the amount of each type of rocks needed. It is in one of their books. I don't recall which one. Our ponds start around $3000. From there they go up. It all depends on the landscape they want around it and the type of water fall and stream combination the customer wants. These are not your Home Depot tub ponds. We make this very clear to the customer before we get too involved in the design stage. I hate to put 4 or 5 hours into meeting with a customer and doing a design only to hear "You've got to be kidding. That is going to cost how much???"
Old 06-23-2001, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello CCLC
Your starting price of $3000.00 for the pond etc.
What size possibly would that refer to, concidering there are 14 kits they have available besides the custom?
Would it be the 4' x 8' ? there smallest one?
-----
Can you see a $4000-$4500 total figure installing a 8' x 11'with actually no landscape planting this year other then some perimeter plants , but yet having a completed rock water fall?,(small scale)

(Myself and 2 workers) available at present
curious here because I just convinced a couple to go with an aquascape pond over a plastic tub etc.
There property in rear is not huge but elabratly landscaped, 50'x75'

Pond size of an 8 x 11 or 11 x 11 may be the choice to make.

They will budget them selfs and have the planting done later on.
thanks for any feedback
Old 07-11-2001, 09:13 PM
Banned

On installs I do the maintenance forever. I only work where I want and it's spendy, first planting with install is in the bid. Second planting to enhance the install pays real well and you can play with the plants and the people love it. Never had good luck with fish because they get eaten by eagles or racoons.

Have a great day....
Old 10-04-2001, 10:37 PM

I may get to do one

I may end up doing my first pond. Got a customer who mentioned wanting one but thought it would be way beyond their budget. So, I offered to do one for the cost of materials. Told them right up front that I had never done one and was eager to try. Seems like a win/win here, I get the experience with no real cost, and they get a pond on the cheap. How many of the rest of you would take this opportunity?