Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-16-2006, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

need to seal my black-top driveway what do i need

just need to seal my driveway. residential 3 stall driveway nothing too big.

i'm looking for a good inexpensive product to seal it.

would you reccoment rolling it on???? i have never done this before.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Member

If you look into it and see the cost of buying roller's and maybe a new pair of shoes and the cost of sealer and your time to do it go to and price it out and you will see that maybe you should call someone in your area.

I have been sealing now for 6 years and all my clients say with that price why do it your self "have it done right"

Graco line painter Billy Goat blower hot crack machine
www.gauthier-driveways.com
Old 05-16-2006, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I recomend buying Latexite Optimum Titanium Fortified sealer, around $20 a pail. Get the best sealer you can find cuz the cheap stuff is just water down. I recommend squeegeeing it on, rollers are a pain. If the pavement is real hot and its drying too fast and leaving marks, VERY LIGHTLY mist the pavement with water to cool it down and help the sealer glide.

If its never been sealed, you will need two coats. Either both this year, same day, same week, a few months apart, whatever, or a 2nd coat next year. One coat will not last as long as two. Don't get in the habbit of doing it too often, after you do the two coats, you should be fine for at least 3-4 years. Reseal when the pavement is starting to show thru after the sealer has started to wear away.

Step 1) Edge the driveway to expose the edges of the asphalt.
Step 2) Seal cracks, if you dont have a lot, use a cold-pour crack sealer, the best you can buy, and SHAKE IT REALLY GOOD cuz that stuff sits on shelves for who knows how long. If you have more than just a couple small cracks, buy Latexite Ply-Stix and a small torch/propane bottle (whats used for sweating plumbing pipes and soldering) and melt that into the crack following the directions. While not quite the same as professional hot-applied crack/joint sealants, its probably the best a home owner could buy.
Step 3) Clean the driveway the best you can. The cleaner it is, teh better the sealer will stick. Dont seal until all dirt/mud/etc is cleaned off. Use steal bristled brooms. You can also scrub it with a broom while its wet using dish detergent. Make sure whatever "Driveway Clenaers" you use do not contain petrolum products as these will damage your asphalt. Some products labeled as such are not for use on asphalt.

After cleaning, seal way.

Check out www.latexite.com for some of the products I mentioned.

But, not matter
Old 05-17-2006, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGauthier
If you look into it and see the cost of buying roller's and maybe a new pair of shoes and the cost of sealer and your time to do it go to and price it out and you will see that maybe you should call someone in your area.

I have been sealing now for 6 years and all my clients say with that price why do it your self "have it done right"
I agree hire it out..

If you splash any seal-coat (and you will) on yourself and your out in the sun it will burn your skin. Your going to get it on your concrete, on the garage, lawn, house, shoes, pants, shirt, then track it into the house!!!
After the last one your wife is going to you!!!lol

Now enter in your time to clean and seal your drive are you still saving money?

Then there is the.. Oops !!!I knocked over a bucked of seal-coat

Still want to do it your self?
Old 05-17-2006, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i would just feel better knowing that i did it myself i guess. i'm sure it doesn't take a rocket scientist to do this.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grass disaster
i would just feel better knowing that i did it myself i guess. i'm sure it doesn't take a rocket scientist to do this.

Your right, no need for a degree, lol!
It's easy to do. It just takes a little experience doing it.
so it looks good and the sealer gets on the drive and not on every thing else thats all.
Good luck.

SealAndCoat, ". I recommend squeegeeing it on "
DITO..:
Old 05-20-2006, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What do you pro's charge to do it per bucket or however you figure it. I would find it hard to believe one could hire it done just as cheap as doing it yourself. My drive is 100" with a two car turn around and I had less than $50 in the project. I used Bruer Coat.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL50
What do you pro's charge to do it per bucket or however you figure it. I would find it hard to believe one could hire it done just as cheap as doing it yourself. My drive is 100" with a two car turn around and I had less than $50 in the project. I used Bruer Coat.

O.k why the pro is cheaper?

you will trash
1. Your shoes , pants, shirt, you will splash the seal-coat on your garage and house.
2. Your feet will be covered in seal-coat and you will walk into your house and track sealer all over the carpeting.

3, When sealer gets on your skin and when the sun is shining it will burn your skin.(why? black sealer absorbes heat from the sun and gets hot)

4. You will need to buy a broom or squeegee for the application.

5. You will spend your free time (all day) sealing your drive.
(what is your time worth?)
How much does all this cost? And we haven't even added in the sealer yet?

My drive is 100" with a two car turn around
How wide? or what is the SQ. footage of your drive.
A pro will clean and seal your drive for around $100 per 1000sq feet.

There will only be sealer on the asphalt and not on the house and garage or lawn. And you had the whole day to do what ever you wanted to do.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have thought about the idea myself sealing drives for others but could never figure out what would be a good balance of profit for me and value for the customer. The points you make are all good and valid but would think they would be small in the eyes of the customer. Who don't have old shoes etc.. to do the work in. If not you could go to Steve's and Berry's and get a pair of new shoes, paints and shirt for $24 total. If in your example I would spend all day sealing my drive, flip that around am I going to make much profit if I charged only $100 and work all day. Just some thoughts that go through my head.

Thanks for your ideas
Old 05-21-2006, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

As a professional you would own the necessary equipment that would allow you to do 10 drives a day or more if you wished. $$$

As for doing it your self, most people will make a day of it loland get it all over them selves and splash it on the house too...

It's not hard to do, it just takes some skill and a little practice to get it to look good. IE. no streaks, brush or squeegee marks, or over spray and all the same color, a nice mat black. Not gray with squiggly marks!