Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-19-2006, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

20 and just gettin rollin

Hey everyone. My name is Tom and I am finally starting my business. I have been doing landscaping for 7 years and took 3 years of horticulture in high school. I also took some business classes as well. I will be taking some classes at a communtiy college over the winter. So far I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 with a 7.5ft Meyer plow. I also have some basic hand tools as well. I dont have a family that is backing me or my mommy and daddy. I got me my wife and 2 kids. Yes and I am only 20. My boys are 2 years and 7 months. This whole company is being started out of my pocket, and it isnt very deep. I will be getting a 6x14 foot open trailer to start with. My equipment I am getting are a used Walker GHS and a used Wright Stander 52". I already have a stihl fs85 weedwacker and a blower. I will also be doing patios, retaining walls, lawn installs, sprinklers, fertilizing, and ornamental plant installs. I have my pesticide/fertilizer license from the state already. I am not going to be just a joe schmo out there with my head up my rear. I am very professional and proud of my work.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to LawnSite Good luck. looks like you are on the right track. Mower size depends on what size lawn you cut. Let us know what size lawns you have and if tehy have gates so we could give you a thumbs up or down on those mowers. LawnInOrder
1996 Mitso Fuso Stake Body
1999 Dodge 2500 w/ 7.5' Western Plow
12X6 Enclosed Trailer
12X6.5 open Trailer
16X6.5 Bobcat Trailer
20 Ton Bobcat Trailer
Bobcat 873
Bobcat 753-For Sale
Old 12-19-2006, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

welcome aboard man. i dont know if youve read up but a lot i mean a lot of your start up questions will be answered in a couple hours reading searching starting up on this site. also youll need to check into insuranse and becoming a legal biz
Old 12-19-2006, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks alot! Most of the lawns I will be servicing do not have gates. I have gotten a 48 walker into a 36" gate. Kudos to walker for having flip-up decks and me for being a hillbilly with ingenuity. Also they are smaller residential topping out a 2 acres. A few commercial but not big at all. I am already incorporated and have the insurance allready. So now it is get the schooling done and set on the ground and go
Old 01-27-2007, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well this winter has been dragging its arse on me, but it has picked up. Got my truck all lettered up a few weeks ago. I must say it looks awesome. I think this year I am going to keep my thing part-time (sat-sun) and work one more year or so at a regular landscape co. I dont wanna jump in without enough work to keep me busy and keep money flowin. Got 2 little boys to keep full. Thanks for all the info everyone
Old 09-27-2007, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, its kinda funny looking back at this. It wasnt too long ago, but still very interesting. I must say I have since then learned wayyyyyyy more and have better, less expensive equipment and short and long term goals set. I must say I have progressed and matured alot since I joined.