Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-19-2006, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Training Video for Employee's

I have been thinking about making a training video showing how a daily operation works and how to use equipment properly, has anyone else tried this and if so did it do any good.

Tim
Old 05-19-2006, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_turn_mowers
I have been thinking about making a training video showing how a daily operation works and how to use equipment properly, has anyone else tried this and if so did it do any good.

Tim
sounds like a good ideal...let me know how it works out for you if you do... will cutt down on lots of training new guys in the field...Good Luck!!!
Old 05-19-2006, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can get them for free (we got a couple with a purchase of course) from our local toro dealer. We used to show them to our workers on the golf course i used to work at. they are pretty good and cover all the basics.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_turn_mowers

Tim
Operations manuals are the way top end franchises like mcdonalds are able to dupilcate their success all over the world. Every nuance of an employees duties and responsibilities are written out in great detail.

I read this in a book called the E-Myth manager. I'm thinking of making my own manuals but I never thought about videos but considering how easy pod casting and video editing can be managed today.... If you make good ones you could prollly sell 'em. (not to me though, I would pirate them )
Old 05-19-2006, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I bought my last two Lazers, Exmark just sent them to me. They were pretty corny, but it does help the inexperienced I guess. Try contacting whoevers brand of equipment you've got.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This training video was not only to know how to run equipment but how to save time, (Example: Pull up on 6 lawns all in one stop trim guy gets out edges all 6 driveways and sidewalks then goes back to edge back patios separtely when he could just off edging in the front at his closest point to the backyard and edge the back then go back to the front and pick up on edging where he left off and continue, grabs weedeater he is trimming around the house and a tree is out 20 feet from the house or shed in the backyard trim those while your already there instead of making all those unnessary foot steps. On a mower when the blades turn on scan the lawn for a mowing pattern that you are almost always cutting grass not reriding areas you have been) These are some of the issues I have with new employees trying to make them productive as well as good equipment operators. Are any of you guys like this...it just makes more sense to me.

Tim

Tim
Old 05-19-2006, 02:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pullin up to six jobs and bangin them out real quick is all about finding your pattern. Theres almost like a pattern to doing yards. When you get a pattern down, you'll be zipping through them like no tomorrow. at the company I used to work for I had about 12 lawns on one street. Me and two other guys, would have them all done in about 2 hours or so. I would mow and the other would start whipping together, then one guy would break off and edge, then while the other guy gets done whipping he'd start blowing, and by the time I was done mowing they'd both be on blowers either one or two houses behind me. The best part was, we never got a complaint from anyone in the sub. And this was a high end sub.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

That's what I try to do as well, but having two new guys w/ me only part time, I have to hold their hands some times. Dixie Chopper has a training video, but I can't get it to open from my computer. It's under the Support tab.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I've tried searching the web for a training video for lawncare workers. I couldn't find one. I've had the same idea about making my own. Seems like a good idea, with all the turnover.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I think hands on in the field training is best. You can't really learn how to operate equipment correctly by just watching someone else do it.
F450 XLT Dump
Fisher Xtreme Vees
22' Enclosed Trailer
16' Open Trailer
14' Dump Trailer
10' Open Trailer
Redmax 2stroke Equipment
Walker, Wright Stander, Lesco
Little Wonder, Stihl, ect. ect.....