Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-08-2001, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wacky sprinklers.

I was coming home today and I noticed that a sprinkelr system that was running looked sort of strange. It had three different types of heads running at the same time! I thought that was a no-no.
Old 06-09-2001, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It is a no-no.
Old 06-09-2001, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Member

It is a bad no no and I am sick of seeing it. Basically installers cheat the customer when they do it. different kinds of head (spray,Rotor) put out different amounts of water. Problem is , legitimate installers have to bid against these guys that cut corners with these kind of techniques. Usually customer doesn't know.
Old 06-09-2001, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This particular place had two impact heads, two rotors, and one other rotor that looked to have a longer range than the other two.
Old 06-11-2001, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In a perfect world you would not have this kind of situation, unfortuneatly we do not install in that world. Often homeowners or " professionals " will replace defective heads with whatever is available on their truck or in the local hardware.

In some instances it makes sense to use a combination of impacts and rotors. Impact heads give the most even water distribution. That means that if you have an area that is too large or has too much traffic to effectively put in pop up heads, but you can't get matched precipitation on rotors then impacts are the next best solution. I am not saying that this is the way to go, only that sometimes it is the best solution to a bad problem.

Jim L
Old 06-11-2001, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like the lawn probably had dry spots and someone tried to remedy it with impulses.
Old 06-30-2001, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Member

I am not a big fan of mixing sprinklers, but in some cses I have used them for upgrades. It is always great to follow installers that do not get full coverage. What a waste of time to do an install only to not have coverage in certain areas. Most of the time I will go in and add some gear drives to compensate for the lack of coverage. It is do this or nothing as the installer has already hit them hard in the wallet. Some systems were put in by the homeowners trying to save some cash. Do the upgrade and get it up to code, then watch the look on their face as you hand them the bill. Better off if they had used me in the first place. Some people will never learn.
Old 07-18-2001, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Guys, any head that turns is a rotor. The drive method, gear impact, ball or whatever is not important.

What is important is sufficient water, evenly distributed.

Design and engineering are what gets you there.