Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-20-2006, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

depends on how overgrown over the sidewalk/driveway the grass is. I try and line trim the property a few times before I edge so there is less mess/work and so I dont tear up edger blades,but yes we sweep up most of the mess left behind into a snow shovel then dump it in trash can or yard waste bag that we bring and blow away anything left remaining after that. It takes longer but it sets us apart from the other Lco's by us for the customers that care the others we dont really want them anyway but this aint a perfect world and most yards arent the perfect yards
Old 05-21-2006, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunn's lawn service
thanks the guy designed it and sent it out to around 22,000 homes for 175.00

Whoa dude! $175 for printing, designing and sending?! How did he send them? Direct mail or what?

Can I please get the companies name, even though I don't live near you, so just I might know what to look up a similiar company up around here to do that for me..
Old 05-21-2006, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Member

bump for answer!
Old 05-21-2006, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thats' .0075 cents a copy including delivery.

Your math must be wrong or you got scammed, it costs me .042 cents just for delivery in an ad-bag with a legit company.

One time I got scammed they only delivered my flyer to 5 apartment buildings so I would get some calls the rest of the flyers I gave them must have been thrown out. Thats why I only go with legit ppl or I hire guys myself and over see the delivery.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoopiter
When you guys edge with a stick edger do you rake up the edge that you sliced off or do you just cut so little that it doesnt really need cleaning? I have never used a stick edger if you can't tell.

Thanks!
Jeff
If they are a new customer and this is the first time and a lot of over growth than yes you have to shovel the stuff up. (but charge for the extra work) after that you do it every week and just blow the trimmings off the walk.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunn's lawn service
Thanks trinity thats what we where thinking we just havent had anyone just call us for that. It was weird cause we put out an ad and got this call because it was a really professional looking ad .what do you think
Really nice flyer. But FYI, you spell debris with an s on the end. May wanna fix it for future mailings

hillndale
Old 05-21-2006, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No we didn't get scammed it was in a bi-weekly ad book it is eight pages 8 1/2 by 11 with three two for ads per page so he can charge less because of the amount of companies he has been in business for 12+ years and does all the designing printing himself and he goes two the post office and drops them off himself and pays the fee to have the booklet delivered to areas by zones no adresses on them so the post office does not have to sort them just one per address per zone it's simple really. I imagine he makes a big profit from this as well because it most of the companies in it are huge companies and they pay by the size of the ad ours is 4" inches by5 1/2" tall. some are bigger some are whole page. the reason it is cheap is because he has no workers and been in business for 12+ years so his equipment is paid off thus not very much overhead and 22,000 is not alot of homes where we live not even 1/10th of north county. we thought it would cost more to place an ad in this booklet because of the companies in it where so big but we gave him a call and it wasn't. i have been getting these ads in the mail as far back as i can remember so I knew they went everywhere and our friends live in all parts of the area where it was delivered and we didnt give him all of our friends addresses but they all got one hhhmmmmmm he must be phsycic to know exactly what houses to deliver to. Not all business owners are crooks maybe alot but not all. take us for instance our doorhangers have a higher price on them than we charge but when people call we dont rip them of we just tell them that our price is less than that and then they are hooked because they thought they where going to pay even more than the doorhangers said that price on them is just for the yards that look like jungle or if we dont want to drive that far, and advertising higher prices keeps the cheap A#### away,and the haglers
Old 05-21-2006, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for looking out hillndall but that was just the first proof it went out on wedsneday with everything spelt correctly.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Member

So, when will they be sent out? I'd like to know what kind of response rate you get..
Old 05-21-2006, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh its like a coupon book I've never done those before. for $175 I would jump on it though.