Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-20-2006, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Kohler CV15S Governor problem

My father has a this engine in a lawn tractor that he bought from my grandfather. My grandfather told me he bent the governor...

Well it run's way to fast, and I think something is wrong inside. When it's running their is no pressure on the governor shaft to pull the throttle back.

What is the possible outcome before I pull the engine out and rip the bottom crankcase off?

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2006, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would suggest trying to adjust it before tearing the engine down, Here's the procedure in case you need it.
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 05-21-2006, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I usually have bad luck . How much work is it to replace the governor gear?
Old 05-21-2006, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here is a link; http://www.kohlerplus.com/login.asp

Click on Enter as guest below the send box, Scroll down the page to CV11-16 You can down-load a PDF Service Manual and save it to your computer then print out the pages you need to take out to where your engine is. It's not all that bad but the manual will give you step by step instructions.
I use Loctite brand gasket eliminator on all engines that require no gasket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 05-22-2006, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks!!! I am going to order the parts ASAP!
Old 05-22-2006, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Re: No Pressure On Governor Lever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmanx
Thanks!!! I am going to order the parts ASAP!
You stated no pressure on governor linkage. Did you check throttle plate to see if the spring was in place. Restrorob would likely send you the diagram as well as step by step adjustment for governor/throttle plate if he picks up on this thread or you can likely access through website and enterring as a guest as he so aptly describes........ "FOR ALL HAVE FAILED AND COME SHORT OF THE GLORY OF RESTROROB "..
Old 05-27-2006, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Just finished repairing a B&S Intec V-Twin with same problem (governor not controlling the throttle, engine running massive RPM with butterfly open all the way). In troubleshooting, final conclusion, determined that mechanism inside the engine that operates the shaft that controls the governor linkage to the carb was not operating properly. Removed engine, removed crankcase cover, and found the centrifugal fingers on the governor gear disintegrated/broken/flew apart. Governor gear had also froze-up on the pin that it rotates on, which spun the pin in the block. This pin is suppose to be a press fit, or at least a knock fit into the engine block. This is something to check when you open your engine up, (the pin should not spin in the hole it mounts in.
This pin cannot be purchased as an individual part, It comes as part of the engine block assembly.
Maybe you will get lucky and just your internal governor gear assembly is broken and not working and all you have to do is replace the assembly, that is if your kohler engine has this same type governor set-up.
If your kohler engine has a pin that the governor gear spins on and this pin spins in its mounting hole, let me know and I will go into the detail of how to repair it