Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-21-2006, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Tough One....

I have had referral work come my way from him since then which is a nice show of professionalism on both our parts. In the future, I feel that he will sell his application accounts and I will be the first in line. Moving on, I always make it a pont to tell local LCO's owners that I want to gear my business in the application direction. More often than not, I get leads from them b/c they are not interested in the application end of the business. Having said this, it is safe to say that I will grow in the near future in that side of the business. I am also teaming up with another landscaper who said he will send all application accounts my way if things go well. We'll see!

All this said, I have turned down a few opportunities that involve clean-ups, and the like. I have enough lawns to keep me mowing for 2 1/2 days with a
36" belt drive scag minus the sulky. Needledd to say, I have been swamped the last few days from the rain. I get a horrible cut in the rain and the belts slip to the point of NO FORWARD MOVEMENT . In an effort to leave a lawn looking like it should, I double cut and move on. Well, do I invest in the proper mowing unit to get through the year even though I don't plan on mowing next year, do I purchase a 1 year old perma green from a local LCO who is a friend that can send application accounts my way, or do I keep running behind my scag and continue pushing the rotary spreader.

What are the reasons you ask..

--I don't really enjoy mowing, trimming, and edging.
--I hate clean-ups and refuse to buy a dump truck and/or trailer and all that clean-up required stuff.
--I don't know enough about plants and shrubs to trim and do a good jos, plus cleaning debris from mulched beds sucks.
--There are 1001 guys with mowers and they are a dime a dozen.

I know this topic will be frowned by some, but that;s why there is chocolate and vanilla right

(and because most of the replies will ask if I am certified to make apps, yeah yeah yeah, are YOU.)
Old 05-21-2006, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Member

had to give it a bump, thanks guys....