Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-23-2006, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Hauling your equipment

What Kind of trailer do you guys use for hauling your excavators/skidsteers? I am using a 14K 14ft dump trailer for hauling my excavator and skidsteer around and ready to get something a little better suited for equipment. Looking at either a 16'+4 tilt trailer (16 tilt/4 stationary) or a 20' beavertail w/ spring loaded ramps. Not sure of all the advantages/disadvantages of either and looking for input.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

thats funny i move my stuff with a 24 gooseneck. and i am wanting a goose neck dump. i get so tired of shoveling out the bed of my truck
agri metal strawblower
more power and hand tools than i haul
Old 05-23-2006, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Oh man, I would never sell my dump trailer, I'm still keeping it. It's just a pain to load equipment in and out. I still giggle everytime I dump a load of dirt/gravel/brush/debris instead of shoveling or throwing!
Old 05-23-2006, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I hate hauling equipment in our dump trailer. While I can do it, I don't. When we first bought it, we hauled our skid steer in it, but we try to avoid it. Chaining the machine is a PITA and the ramps are steeper than hell. Just not an ideal hauler.

We have a 16+5 tiltbed rated for 12K, but I wish it was rated for 14K or even 16K. Our 277 will barely fit on it so we'll eventually have to get another trailer or we'll just tough it out with our deckover gooseneck until next spring when we get a triaxle and a 20 ton tiltbed. Needless to say, we will not buy another ramp trailer, having a tiltbed is just so much easier.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 05-23-2006, 02:05 AM
LawnSite Member

skag48, do you ever find that you would have an easier time getting more attachments on a flatbed instead of a tilt bed? Reason I ask is that I've been told that it can be a pain getting attachments on a tilt bed and then getting the equip. back on?? When I say flatbed I mean between the wheels, not over. I agree with it being a PITA getting the equip on and tied down w/ my dump. I do a lot of smaller jobs that require a couple of pieces of equipment and it gets to be a lot of loading and unloading. The width of the dump trailer also is a pain for getting power rake and other wider attachments on.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

tilt-bed is quite a bit safer to load when raining...

I'd get GVW ~ 20k as it is good to have 'too-much' strength in a trailer (brakes / tires and Steel) length is troublesome in rural forested / steep areas, and in tight city subdivisions too

I am on the 'eternal' quest for a 'roll-off' (hook-lift) demolition truck. They are becoming quite popular, and hard to find used. variety of beds available, and I will be making a 'rack' for my attachments.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:20 AM
LawnSite Member

The roll-offs are awesome but have lots of other toys on the wish list ahead of that. I am leaning toward the tilt, just want to make sure that it isn't a problem getting a couple attachments on board. I also kind of worry about going to a 20', I've had a few tight ones with 14' and 20 would have been a major PITA, but if I'm going to buy, I need more room for attachments.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

How many attachments do you have? We can put the Harley rake on the front on the stationary deck, tilt the bed down and put blocks between the stationary deck and the tilted up deck so that when you put any weight on it, it won't tilt down. So then we side load the forks and combo bucket on each side in front of the wheels and then back skid steer with the trencher attached onto the trailer, pull the blocks and let the trailer tilt back onto the frame. Chain up and go. I could see a disadvantage if you were always hauling attachments, but with landscape sites, most are never done in less than a week so we have to go back to the site every day allowing us to take 2 attachments one day and maybe 1 or 2 more the next.

Definately get a 20', you won't be sorry. Sometimes I wish we had a 24' and I thought our 21' would be too big.

Old 05-23-2006, 02:32 AM
LawnSite Member

That makes sense and covers the disadvantage I've heard w/ tilts. My most common is to carry a bucket, Harley rake and a box type blade for skidsteer, W/ tractor it's tiller and box blade. Excavator is no prob w/ just buckets. Off subject but do you use a tilt bucket for your excavators? I would like to get one.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would like to have one, but I've got to put a cap on the spending for a while. I think I'd rather have one for our 303 rather than the 312, but I just don't know how much we'd use it. We have trenching and cleanup buckets for both machines, a definate excavator "must have".