Register free!

Old 05-23-2001, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Member

organics

HI,
Im new to the group and am really happy to have found it. Ive been doing power
raking, aerating and spring clean ups in Manitoba, Canada for a about 4 years. Theres
alot of talk about banning all pesticides here, as they have done in other parts of this
country. I would like to find as much info as I can on suppliers of organic fertilizers and
weed control agents. I would also like to hear other peoples experience with these
products. I will only do this if I can get good results. Thanks in advance
Old 05-23-2001, 07:29 PM

I don't have much info to offer ( I posted below asking if anyone has tried corn glutten meal for crabgrass or Milky spore disease for white grub syndrom).

This is what i have read (and I may be a little off in the details because it was a while ago) :
Corn Glutten Meal (packaged under the trade name "Amaze" is a corn based product that is said to reduce crabgrass by up to 90 % over a 4 year period. It is applied 2 times per year, spring and fall, and is also a very small source of Nitrogen.

Milky Spore disease: Is applied 4x per year for 2 or 3 years (don't remember for sure) and is a bacterial disease that the grubs develop. Therefore, any surviving grubs that reproduce will pass this disease along to their offspring down the line which should wipeout the grub population. It is preventative and after the initial years of application, no further treatment may be necessay for a number of years (don't remember for sure.....10 ?)

As far as fertilizers, there are no pesticides in straight fertilizer whether it is organic or not, so you will be safe anyway.

Hope this helps and sorry I can't be more accurate at this time.

jeffyr:alien:
Old 05-23-2001, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One thing to remember arsnic is 100 % organic, so are many other highly toxic chemicals. I believe that pesticides which target specific pests and have low toxicisity to nontarget pests are the answer, wheather organic or not.

I am not saying that organic pesticides are not good, simply that more attention seems to be given to wheather it is organic and less attention to the LD 50, the real measure of how toxic a pesticide truely is.

Jim L
Old 05-24-2001, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Member

organics

Ive heard of people using corn gluten meal with sucess in fighting some broad leaf weeds but it is very timely and can be hit or miss. I appreciate the responses but wonder if anybody is aware of a supplier of organic fertilizer or has fist hand knowledge of what works best. The lawns out here are mostly Kentucky Blue and organics is really something that hasnt been tapped yet in this area. Im wanting to go this route but just cant find anything but conflicting info. The people that I know who are using synthetics have assured me that I could never be succesful being 100% organic. Id like to prove them wrong. Anything that can be offered would be appreciated.
Old 05-24-2001, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ringer is organic, and widely available. Blood and bone meal are organics that have a bit higher N than most other organics. One of the drawbacks, well many people see it as a drawback, is that you won't get a quick green from organics. They take time to break down and many people just don't want to wait.

Good Luck,
Jim L
Old 05-25-2001, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Turfinator,
After I deplete my existing supply of 7-2-5 organic fert, I am switching to North Country Organics new 8-1-9. ( Web site is norganics.com)
The coverage rate is from 4000-16,000 ft2 per 50 lb bag depending on soil conditions and preferred application rate. If you're starting out with biologically inactive soil, then heavier rates are needed to restore activity. The wholesale cost per bag is $19. I'm getting about $70 per 5-7000 sq ft lawn and not having a problem selling the price or the organic concept up here by the coast. If you need to find a dealer near you, go to www.norganics.com/dealerlist.htm

Mike
Old 05-25-2001, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Mike,
Seventy dollars seems like alot of money for a fert. application. Im sorry if Im reading you wrong but the majority of lawns I would be doing would be aprox 5-6000 sq. ft. minus the home. Most lawns would require heavy apps due to previous synthetic fertilizer use and with Canadian dollars used to purchase an American product I think I would be out pricing myself in a market used to paying $25.00 for a weed and feed app. from some of the big companies. What did you do to overcome the incredibly high cost of organics when starting out? How often would you be applying North Country's fert. to your customers lawns per season? What tips could you give that I could use on trying to sell this "new" concept. Thanks....
Old 06-03-2001, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

turfinator- we use a combo approach. I have doen straight organic fert and straight chemical, and have the best luck combining the two. Marketing will get you the enviro freaks, but you can't selectively kill alot of weeds with vinegar and creamed corn.

success has come to us using organic fert once, sometimes twice a year with our 6 step. It gives us a shade or two of darker green, and doesn't burn in the hot months. we use a millorganite generic called houactinite made in houston,tx. It works for us.

Dave g
Old 06-05-2001, 05:29 AM
LawnSite Member

What to do????

Well is it it time to wave the white flag? It sounds like very few (if any) of you operate 100% organic. I do plan on getting my applicators license this year whether I need it or not. If I end up operating a organic/synthetic service is there a preference among you between using granular or liquid fertilizers? What would be an example of a 4 step program i could use here. Spring comes in late April and the temps drop below freezing by Late Sept/October. We have snow all winter until April. I appreciate the help.......
Thanks,
Sean
Old 06-09-2001, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have an interest/curiosity about this too.

I did an internet search for "organic lawn care" and got a bunch of info.

Including a few companies that offer organic lawn care sevices. It can be done and people are out there doing it.

BTW - Arsenic IS organic! So are alot of other bad things! To say that this might require a bit of research would probably be an understatement.

Good Luck!