Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-20-2000, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Member

What I am asking is whether or not it is harmful to spray round-up around existing plants, shrubs and trees. Say if there is a few dandelions in the mulch around a tree ring, is it ok to spray these and not hurt the tree? I am pretty sure it is because it is a foliar herbicide but, I was curious if anyone had problems with this? Also what about in and around perennials and things? Do you just clean it up real good during spring clean up then keep on top of it during the year? I believe that would be the easiest.<br>thanks,<p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY
Old 01-20-2000, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes you can use roundup.Just make sure you keep it off the plantings.Another thing I found to work well is to use a pre-m on rock and mulch beds.Use can mix it in with your roundup.The one I use is Pendulum (spelling?)it is desined for ornamental beds.<br>It cut way down on return sprayings.Hope this helps.
Old 01-20-2000, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Member

OK to use RoundUp, as long as you are careful with drift and overspray. RoundUp is a non-selective that is absorbed through actively growing plants. Check out a Pre-Em product named Snapshot. It is a dry product that can be applied in the spring and fall and controls a large number of weeds and grasses. The longer it is used the better the weed control will be. It really does a good job and is labled for almost anything that you may encounter in ornamental beds.
Old 01-20-2000, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Neil,<br> By dry do you mean granular? If so can it be spread around the bed per instructions without much worry of harming the existing plants? If not, does anyone know of anything like this? I know there is some kinda homeowner stuff Preen I think. So there must be some commercial stuff that is better.<br>Any ideas?<p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY
Old 01-20-2000, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Neil, Please tell me more about your experience with snapshot in beds. I have always been a spray guy but I have lots of areas where a granular might save me time. Can you offer any advice comparing your success with snapshot vs. surflan,gallery,etc.,etc.
Old 01-20-2000, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I use preen (granular)as a pre emergent it seems to help. I am interested about snapshot. The biggest trouble is wind drift. leeching may also occur mixing it to strong may cause this
Old 01-20-2000, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

OK to use Roundup in beds or anywhere as long as you are CAREFUL and realize it will kill anything you spray with it. And be aware of DRIFT. To see what a sprayer does, have someone else spray water out of a spray tank while you observe from 25-30 feet away. When you see the mist rising from the tip, you will be REAL careful spraying Roundup.<br>Snapshot is a Dow Chem granular product for over the top application in beds: won't hurt established plants (READ THE LABEL: has been some damage noticed, most common is burning bush). It is a combo of trifluralin (a grassy preemergent) and isoxaben (Gallery). Sold in 50# bags. Label lists about 80-90 grassy & broadleaf weeds controlled. Mode is preemergent- it kills only germinating weeds.<br>A better choice for someone starting out would be the Lebanon clone &quot;Professional Preen&quot;. It is the same as Snapshot, but only 75% the strength, and comes in 20# bags. Note that &quot;Preen&quot; is the Lebanon name on the consumer product, I believe the A.I. is just trifluralin, so control is very limited compared to Professional Preen. Probably will have to find a chemical distributor to get the &quot;Professional&quot; product. <p>----------<br>Jim<br>South Bend, IN<p>
Old 01-20-2000, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Member

You can get foaming nozzles for a lot of sprayers. This will virually eliminate any drift.
Old 01-21-2000, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Member

We have been using TREFLAN on our beds have had good results. it's a grandular product , like preen and snapshot , that is sold in 20lbs bags. Really has cut the hrs spent on weeding
Old 01-22-2000, 06:11 AM
LawnSite Member

I have been using Snapshot for a couple of years now and have had zero problems. It is a granular product that I apply with a chest spreader. One of my customers has close to two acres of ornamental beds alone, with some of almost any plant that you can name,(that will grow in the S.E.) I buy from Lesco and I suppose one of the drawbacks would be that it is sold in 50LB bags. And it is a little costly,(about $85 a bag) but it does a good job, and keeps my customers happy. I am sure that the Preen and other products work well, just not familure with them.