Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-03-2000, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Member

I bought a snapper with a B & S engine on it from a Company called Northern. I put the correct amount of oil in and used it for two days. On the third day the engine burnt up. There was no oil in it. No leak under or on the deck. I took it back to Northern, and they would not accept it back. They said I would have to deal with the B&S man. Have any of you ever had something like this happen? Any suggestions?
Old 04-03-2000, 05:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pogo said:<p>&gt;&gt;Any suggestions?<p>Yeah, next time buy a Honda.
Old 04-03-2000, 06:32 AM

Hello Pogo:<p>Best thing to do is call B & S, they will probably point you to the nearest distributor in your state. Then they will help you find a local dealer to take it to.<p>If you still have a problem with local dealer, ask if they will do a disputed warranty?<p>If it was ran out of oil, I doubt it if they will warranty. Because it's left up to the end user to make sure it has the proper amount of oil in it.<p>I know this don't help much but it's all you can do. <p>Also make it company policy to check oil every time you go cut & if you run a tank of gas through it, check the oil again. This is very good insurance on your part.<p>I had a mower 2 weeks old & I didn't check the oil because it was about to rain & I was in a hurry. <p>I had just checked it the job before, It was full of oil. The job I was on it ran out of gas & it was sprinkling rain, I in a hurry filled it up with gas & started back cutting. 10 minutes later rod came through the block. I couldn't figure it out, well after looking at mower, I found a piece of bailing wire wrapped around the crankshaft, it had ripped out the bottom oil seal.<p>Another thing when you buy something, make sure they service what they sell. It will help you out in the long run.<p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/
Old 04-03-2000, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah maybe so there,....... Dick Martin.
Old 04-03-2000, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Yep, ever since we wrote the rule on the wall for everyone to see. &quot;Oil is checked everytime you put gas in the machine&quot; we never had an engine burn up in seventeen years. Simply amazing.
Old 04-03-2000, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Our company bought a lot of equipment from Northern,we have had nothing but problems with there pressure washers,engines,jacks,and even a simple loadhandler for P/U beds.On top of that there service is non-existant and it takes forever to get warranty work.We will not deal with them again,just a warning to all of you,buy local its worth the extra if they'll be there.With the briggs,you will eat it,its your job to check oil,especially when new,it uses a lot.Stay away from flathead motors,they are for homeowner use only,go OHV and they wont burn nearly as much oil.<p>----------<br>John D<br>
Old 04-04-2000, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. I bought the mower on sale, so I guess I will have to just put another engine on it. I just cant believe the engine would burn up all the oil in two days of running. I've never had a mower do that. I know Im gonna get screwed.