Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2001, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How much does an 11'x16' pond usually retail for? What is the average cost to the contractor? What equipment and materials are required to put one in? Do you have to check for city/county ordinances before you dig? Is there special certification/licensing required to do this? Do you have to have any different insurance other than general liability?
Old 05-04-2001, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just don't get in over your head.LOL
Seriously,
I have done a couple of ponds. One roughly 18X14 20 mil UV stabilized liner, granite edgeing, pump, filter, water plants and Koi was 11,000 bucks. Anouther pond I did was 16X12 20mil UV stabilized liner, flagstone edging, no bells or whistles 6500 bucks. The materials that go into edgeing and accessorising the pond really make up the price.
Jim L
Old 05-05-2001, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We're just getting into pond building ourselves, have one under our belt.

I'll try to answer your questions for you...

If you listen to Greg Wittstock of Aquascapes, an 11x16 pond installed is about $3500.

You'll have to check your local area to see what material costs are. You can buy the kit from Aquascapes, it has all the liner, underlayment, plumbing, etc. Get the bulk mat'ls locally.

In fact, you'll be best off ordering a video from them or their major competitor, Pond Supplies of America, led by Greg Wittsock's dad (no kidding).

Do you have to check city ordinances - only your local municipalities can tell you that. Where I live, the pond can't be more than 2' deep without having a fence around it.

In WI, no license required. I think this field may bo too new to require licenses anywhere, but you should check to be sure.

I'm not aware of any additional lines of ins coverage required for this.

Tools to do the job? Depends on the pond. You'll need a small toolbox worth of stuff to do the plumbing, the rest can either be done with shovels and rakes, or excavators and skid loaders. The one we did was about 30'x20' and we excavated with a skidloader.

One thing to NOT do: I've been to seminars (whose sponsors will remain nameless) who recommend running extension cords under mulch to wire up the pump for the pond. DO NOT do this. Hire an electrician, or have the customer hire an electrician, or let the homeowner do it themselves. If you try to wire up a GFCI outlet as a non-electrician, you open yourself up to all kinds of liability. And extension cords under mulch, well, that's just not smart. One homeowner sticking a spade through a cord connected to a non-gfci outlet and you likely bought yourslef one french-fried customer and a one-way ticket to the poor farm.
Old 05-07-2001, 08:53 AM

I'll give you Aquascape's official answers for these questions.

1. An 11x16 pondkit usually retails for around $2500. Installed it would be around $5000-5500.
2. I'd rather not say what the cost for contractor is, being that anybody can get to this forum. If you would like to email me off list, I can help you out. Let's just say that there is a fair markup on the kits.
3. The only equipment that we own for putting in kits are a couple of trucks, wheelbarrows, and shovels. The only time we use excavators is on big jobs (over 30'x30') and then we bring in a sub-contractor.
4.We do not check for any kind of ordinances before we install most backyard ponds. We follow the Boca code which states anything under 250 sqft and less than 2' deep is considered a landscape addition. If you do ask, make sure you have them show you where is says "watergardens or ponds". Most likly they will pull up something that applies to swimming pools.
5.There is no special cert. or licensing for this field as far as we know.
6. I don't believe there is any special insurance for this, but I will check and let you know.

By the way, Pond Supplies and Aquascapes have similar systems, but there are a few very important details that seperate us. I don't want to get into a war on whose system is better, but if you would like to know what those details are, just let me know.

Hope this helps.

Conor

How much does an 11'x16' pond usually retail for? What is the average cost to the contractor? What equipment and materials are required to put one in? Do you have to check for city/county ordinances before you dig? Is there special certification/licensing required to do this? Do you have to have any different insurance other than general liability?