Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-27-2006, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Length of Funny Pipe

I was hooking up my flexible riser with 2 barbed elbows and the funny pipe. It sounds like I should have and additional street eel fpt in the setup. That would give me more flexability. By the way, do I need to tape the marlex threads? When I talk about lateral distance I mean my trench will be 12 " and the head and fittings are about that already. So whatever length I use means I just move my head that much farther away; I don't want to go up at all. Thanks again, burlap
Old 05-27-2006, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Length of Funny Pipe

I was hooking up my flexible riser with 2 barbed elbows and the funny pipe. It sounds like I should have and additional street eel fpt in the setup. That would give me more flexability. By the way, do I need to tape the marlex threads? When I talk about lateral distance I mean my trench will be 12 " and the head and fittings are about that already. So whatever length I use means I just move my head that much farther away; I don't want to go up at all. Thanks again, burlap
Old 05-27-2006, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Purp:

I think you are the luckest one on the board. You don't have to put up with the bullshittyshitt that the owner/operators do.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS
Purp:

I think you are the luckest one on the board. You don't have to put up with the bullshittyshitt that the owner/operators do.

I've thought about that too. Sometimes I wish that just once a week I could go into work as just an employee without all the headaches
Old 05-27-2006, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by burlap
By the way, do I need to tape the marlex threads?
Only if you're an amateur. Taping of Marlex is a sure sign that someone doesn't know what they're doing.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS
Purp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSME
I've thought about that too. Sometimes I wish that just once a week I could go into work as just an employee without all the headaches.
I made my choice a long time ago based on a lot of factors. Maybe I won't get rich but regular 8 hour shifts, weekends and holidays off, sick leave and vacation, health benefits, etc. more than makes up for it.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Member

if your trench is inline with where you want your heads just put them on nipples.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We had a contractor in our area that was putting in systems so cheap, that he would cut corners on every thing. One of his favorite things was flex pipe. He would use so little flex pipe that the two barb 90's would touch, the one in the head and the one on the lateral line. Save some money by just using 2" worth of flex pipe.
We see this about once a week.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn123
if your trench is inline with where you want your heads just put them on nipples.
Your "greenhorn" status is showing. Nipples break off with impact. And I can't count the number I've seen where the tee isn't vertical so the sprinkler tilts. Maybe the standard for DIY people is nipples and cut-off risers but the professional irrigation standard is some type of swing joint, whether it be prefabricated, funny pipe or the type we use. THAT is a personal choice based on locale and experience. Nipples are NOT a choice.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonrain
We had a contractor in our area that was putting in systems so cheap, that he would cut corners on every thing. One of his favorite things was flex pipe. He would use so little flex pipe that the two barb 90's would touch, the one in the head and the one on the lateral line. Save some money by just using 2" worth of flex pipe.
We see this about once a week.
Kinda takes the "flex" out of the pipe???