Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-28-2006, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Need BIG Time Help

Hello, I was wondering if anybody could help me out with a recent sealing job that I did on my 550 Sq Ft. stamped concrete patio. I applied the first coat last evening and it turned out great, but it is recommended that a second coat be rolled on. I waited till this morning for the second coat and got done with applying the second coat at 8:15 AM. I then left to mow the front yard, but when I went back to check the patio 2 hours later it started to bubble up. It looks like a kid was blowing bubbles on my patio. Can somebody give me an idea as to what is going on and some possible solutions? Thanks........
Old 05-28-2006, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello, I was wondering if anybody could help me out with a recent sealing job that I did on my 550 Sq Ft. stamped concrete patio. I applied the first coat last evening and it turned out great, but it is recommended that a second coat be rolled on. I waited till this morning for the second coat and got done with applying the second coat at 8:15 AM. I then left to mow the front yard, but when I went back to check the patio 2 hours later it started to bubble up. It looks like a kid was blowing bubbles on my patio. Can somebody give me an idea as to what is going on and some possible solutions? Thanks

I know alot about doing pavers. First off you can't seal stamped or troweled concrete it is not pores enough. The first coat would of bubbled off also in about a month, or turned yellow and peeled off. POWER WASH ASAP. If someone wants you to do stamped or troweled concrete again ALWAYS ALWAYS cut your product 50/50 with water and do one coat only. The main reason it does this it can't penetrate the stone and with a little heat it bubble or peels. I heard of a new product on the market that can do stamped or troweled I haven't tried it yet but I am going to when I do I can let you know. I order will be in hopefully next week.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

ďI know alot about doing pavers. First off you can't seal stamped or troweled concrete it is not pores enough. The first coat would of bubbled off also in about a month, or turned yellow and peeled off. POWER WASH ASAP. If someone wants you to do stamped or troweled concrete again ALWAYS ALWAYS cut your product 50/50 with water and do one coat only. The main reason it does this it can't penetrate the stone and with a little heat it bubble or peels. I heard of a new product on the market that can do stamped or troweled I haven't tried it yet but I am going to when I do I can let you know. I order will be in hopefully next week.Ē

To start off, this is my stamped concrete patio in my yard and not a customers. I am not sure where the information that you canít seal stamped concrete came from, but that is not the case (why would they make sealer specifically for stamped concrete). When the patio was originally installed two years ago the company did seal it and instructed me to seal every other year. Over the past two years it did not yellow or peal off so thatís not a concern. I contacted the company where I bought the sealer from and they said if I was to mix 50/50 with water, the sealer would have bubbled off even more than it has. They said it probably bubbled up because the second coat didnít adhere to the first coat correctly or the concrete was just too hot.
I am just going to live with it because itís not as bad as I originally thought. Over the next year the first coat should wear off. I just need to remember that if the first coat looks good, leave it alone
Old 06-01-2006, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Member

First off my information comes with many years of experience. Stamped or troweled concrete just does not seal. SureBond is the worse at making excuses like the ones they gave you instead of coming out and admitting to it. Why attack what I say when I was trying to help you. Of course they don't want you to cut their product. But from 20 years or so of working the only success you have with it is to cut it. X-1, Eduro-Seal, Armor Epoxy, Vseal & Luster Seal you name it I have tried them all.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

First off nobody is attacking you and second of all I didn't use SureBond so get your facts straight before coming at me. If stamped concrete is not meant to be sealed, why do contractors seal them after installation? How would they seal in the color of the pigment used to stain the concrete? The 5 gallon can that my sealer came in states not to mix and so did the company I bought it from, hense the reason why I didn't mix it 50/50 like you said I should have. Not trying to start anything here and I'm sorry if you thought that you were attacked.