Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: How do you want it fixed?
Fix it right for another $ 15 100.00%
Fix it again later 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2001, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Welding Services

I have been doing some general welding and fabricating as a hobby for a little while now. What always gets me is when someone needs something fixed for nothing (actually most want that). What I mean is, they bring in something defective and want you to 'just go over it with a bead' real quick. They think this should only cost $3 seeing how it only took you two minutes.
So far I can somewhat understand their short-sightedness.
What throws me for a loop is when you can point out to them why the thing broke and how to fix it so it'll last longer. This generally brings the price from their $3 (mis)conception to a few bucks more for a simple fix that will actually cure the problem.

Question:
would you spend a little (~ 15%) more to have a better product in the end, or do you insist on the cheapest fix, even if you're told it'll break again?

Last edited by Catcher; 05-25-2001 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-25-2001, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Two quotes come to mind:

"Quality never goes out of style"

"No one ever regretted buying quality".
Old 05-25-2001, 04:09 PM

I think the poll results may be a little slanted. The group here is mostly professionals in one trade or another, and as such we reliaze the cost of downtime, as opposed to the Average Joe who is looking for quick and cheap.
Old 05-25-2001, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Member

You're probably right. Point taken.

How do you convince the joes out there to do it right in the first place?
Old 05-25-2001, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like your poll idea Catcher, but I believe Alan's right - those who depend on their equipment have a better concept of what constitutes "fixing it right".

At my work we get that sort of thing all the time - for example, "It just needs a little weld over top of the crack". Problem is, that's not the way to fix it properly. (The right way is to gouge out the crack before welding so it completely "disappears". Pre & post heat if necessary, and weld the gouged out area back up (with multiple passes if needed) A quick bead over top will just crack again in short order) Try to explain that to someone who's not familiar with metal fabrication though!

That's why I like working out in the gravel pits - pretty much without exception, they don't mind paying to have the job done right the FIRST time.

Hey Catcher - your made your latest post while I was typing mine! To be honest with you, for a lot of the people you're referring to I don't know if education is feasible. Maybe after they have to bring the same part back a few times to be fixed................No, bad idea. Then they think YOU are a lousy welder.

Hate to say it, but some folks just can't be taught!

Last edited by 75; 05-25-2001 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-25-2001, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Yup!

Thanks for the replies
Old 05-25-2001, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Catcher,

Here's a related idea to chew on a bit -

For some areas of landscaping, if I can't do it my way (ie the right way), I won't do it. You could try the same. Might net you more $ and the satisfaction of doing the thing right. If these people are smart (which is already in question), they'll realize that just the extra time spent looking for another welder is worth paying you now to get it done right.
Old 05-26-2001, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,

great discussion.

I remember, after having a loader bucket on a older machine crack, telling my friend to weld the crack and make it a little stronger. This was a while ago, and he told me, "well, if I reinforce this section, then another section is going to crack/break" He explained how damage occurs at the weakest point in the machine, and that by fixing the problem spot I would be creating another.

Of course, back then, I was young and the company I worked for didn't want to spend a lot of money, so we went for the quick fix. Sure enough, the spot he repaired stayed strong, but a spot on down the line cracked a week later.

Maybe 'improper technique' has to be experienced first hand before people will believe you on what the correct way is. I know I listen and will spend the extra money now. The philosophy of 'just weld a big chunk of metal to it' doesn't get the job done.

steveair

Last edited by steveair; 05-26-2001 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-28-2001, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Maybe I ought to print this thread out and hang it up in the barn so I can point to it from time to time .........
Old 05-29-2001, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am reminded of this quote
"thiers never time to do it right , but always time to do it over.":blob3: