Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-31-2006, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Encore OHV FD620D Won't Start

Always has been hard to start first thing in the morning. It started on Sunday ran for a couple of swipes and stopped. Haven't been able to restart. Checked fuel pump, fuel filter, checked carb (needle valve, float, emptied bowl and refilled it), checked plugs. One time when checking plugs I had no spark. Checked other plug, no spark. Thought maybe parking brake button went bad, but spark started again. But still no start. Maybe bad sensor or something, PLEASE help.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Also, it does backfire very loud almost everytime you turn it off. I sure would like to get this started and prevent the massive service fee's. It has a Kawasaki V-Twin OHC motor on it.

Thanks for any help in advance....
Old 05-31-2006, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You have three components in this ignition system and any one could be given you a problem. Of course you have two coils along with two pulsing coils and a igniter. I could sit here and post all the different test for these components but I believe it would be easier to just post a link to the service manual and send you to section 7 and perform the test as outlined;
http://www3.kawpowr.com/enginesecure...als/FD620D.pdf

If you have any questions about the testing post back.
Good Luck

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 06-01-2006, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you Restrorob for the Service Manuel link. I read a lot of it in section 7 and fuel. I took the carburetor off and inspected it. Needle valve looks good at tip, float is ok. I checked solenoid valve to see if it was opening. Got a surprise. It must have failed at one point and someone clipped the tip off. I checked to see if it moved....no. Took it off and check main fuel jet. I blew it out with a compressor and it is all clear. Put all back together, no start. Fuel was coming out good from carburetor. I think it is fine and is NOT the problem. Checked Ignition coils. Both read right ohms as specified. I put them back and checked plugs closely. One plug is firing much stronger than the other. They are Champion CJ8's. When putting them side by side they look totally different. The center electrode is much taller than the other, as is the piece it arc's to. When I move the plug to the other side it sparks weak their also. So I checked the specs on the plugs. They call for a NGK BMR4A. NAPA or other parts houses didn't have that exact NGK, but said it crossed to a Champion 846-1 or CJ14. So it had the wrong plugs also. I plan to get them in a hour or so. I also noticed the smaller red wire that comes from the switch and connects to the starter solenoid with the red battery lead has rubbed against the starter and burned a nice hole in the insulation down to the strands. I cut the bad part out and plan to get a connector when I go to get the plugs to reattached it. I wonder if this would explain the hard starting or did the shorting burn something up. But with the plugs sparking and Ignition coils ok maybe it is just a bad plug and wrong plugs in general?

Any Advice would GREATLY help. Thanks in advance

p.s. I have cleaned all connectors and checked to see if any loose...no. I haven't checked voltage regulator or any other electrical part because of the plugs sparking. No issue's before it wouldn't start with the charging system, so I have crossed them components off the list. Is my thinking right or wrong?
Old 06-01-2006, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encorewon'tstart
No issue's before it wouldn't start with the charging system, so I have crossed them components off the list. Is my thinking right or wrong?
I would agree with that at this point, The red wire that was damaged is the main feed wire for the unit harness. So I believe that may have been your no start problem if it didn't short anything out.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 06-02-2006, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I repaired red wire and installed proper plugs. I cleaned the red battery wire and smaller red one at solenoid. I checked and cleaned red lead at battery terminal. No start. Checked spark at plug starts off good and tampers off to about nothing. Recharged battery again. Same thing. Really shouldn't have anything to do with problem but checked voltage regulator. It checked out ok according to ohm chart. Since I already checked ignition coils I thought I would check ignitor. Found one problem, but it may be a missprint on chart. Every place their is a 0 like 7 to 3, you find a 0 at 3 to 7. The same at 3 to 5, and 5 to 3. But at 5 to 7 I have a 0, and at 7 to 5 the same. On the chart it shows resistance at 7 to 5. At 4 to 5 on the chart it shows a 0 where their is resistance. I think they got those two missprinted? What do you think? The resistance on the ignition coils where a little bit higher than the chart, but I wonder If I should just replace them and see. Maybe replace ignitor also. Where can I order parts for this at?
Old 06-02-2006, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=Encorewon'tstart] I think they got those two missprinted? What do you think? QUOTE]

Anything is possible, But I would tend to think not because these service manuals are from the dealers only web site for service technicians eye's only. I would think if there was a miss-print many dealers would have already called and complained and had it straightened out. I'm glad you were able to keep all of those test numbers straight, It took me a few minutes flipping back and forth to see what you were talking about

Now as for the zero's, What they mean is when you put your test leads on two numbers that should read 0 that is telling you that those two wires should be a closed loop (connected on the inside) with no resistance. Now if you put your test leads on there and your meter didn't move at all that would indicate a open loop (wires burnt or disconnected) on the inside.

I will tell you like I would tell a customer at work if this were their unit, I performed a ignition system test on your unit and found that the exciter is not reading to factory specs. nor are the coils but the coils are reading about the same but slightly out of spec...... The exciter is in the $200.00 range and coils are in the $45.00 range each, Would you like me to install the exciter and see if that solves the problem ? Or would you like the coils replaced also ?

I found a couple on-line parts stores that have these parts a little cheaper than Kawasaki but I need the spec. number off your engine because there are two different exciters and four different coils, They don't have parts look-up so I have to go to my dealer's site to get the part numbers then check their site.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Ignitor Part # 21119-2157 $192

Ignition Coil # 21121-2083 $40

http://www.rcpw.com/Kawasaki_Lawn_Mower_Parts.htm

Good Deal ??

The closed loop at 5 to 7 should read the same when you reverse the lead to 7 to 5 and both read 0. It's funny the chart shows a closed loop one way and resistence the other way. I checked the Ignition coils again and they are both the same between A and C points of 19.5k. Which is 4k above the high number. Could be meter difference, but that seems unlikely.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encorewon'tstart
Ignitor Part # 21119-2157 $192

Ignition Coil # 21121-2083 $40

http://www.rcpw.com/Kawasaki_Lawn_Mower_Parts.htm

Good Deal ??

The closed loop at 5 to 7 should read the same when you reverse the lead to 7 to 5 and both read 0. It's funny the chart shows a closed loop one way and resistance the other way.
That is probably because there is a diode in that line inside the exciter so you would get a closed loop one way and a resistance the other.

Thats as good a deal as any, My dealers site list the exciter at 209.75 and the coils at 43.52

Old 06-03-2006, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Last night I took the top off the carb to soak over night to make sure the air jets got all cleaned. Put the carb all back together this am. I thought I should check the entire fuel system from tanks to carb while I was at it. I had checked fuel pump earlier and it seem to be pumping good and left it alone. I cleaned the air openings on the fuel caps, checked all the lines, the t, the pump, the off/on valve, and put it all back together. When I went to fill the filter and line back up before I hooked it up to the carb a miracle happened. No fuel was pumping, just a small stream. So I took all the lines off to check them again and no clogs. Try pump it worked, then completely stopped. Ordered EXPENSIVE pump for $98 from the place I told you about last night. Got a certificate for $10 off my next purchase. Think I will buy the solenoid for the carb and cash in my $10 gift. Maybe that will help stop the backfire by stopping fuel when I turn off the key?

Thanks for ALL the help Restrorob. I really got a GREAT education, and my sons think I am a Nascar mechanic. Thank you.

Mike (North Florida)