Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-03-2006, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I dont think it is a problem with the fuel pump as much as a crankcase pressure issue. I have a sinking feeling this is what is wrong with my 17 horse kawa which is that the pump quits working thus starving the carburator. I wish these things had electric pumps not these vapor driving POS's. Good luck though, hopefully it will cure it.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Member

My Encore has an electric fuel pump. It is a 20hp Kawasaki FD620D. An older one.

Good Luck with yours.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Does your backfire occur through the muffler or the carb? The following comments are for general engine function and not for any specific make or model. Backfire through the muffler at shut down, in my case anyway, was a result of excess fuel igniting in muffler. Mine was caused by a dirty air filter, but raw fuel is raw fuel weather from rich mixture, possibly from a partially closed choke, a leaky carb, or other source. Even if your fuel pump is bypassing fuel, your float and needle valve should stop excess fuel I would think.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If this posts twice then I appologize and will explain at that time.

Does your backfire occur through the muffler or the carb? The following comments are for general engine function and not for any specific make or model. Backfire through the muffler at shut down, in my case anyway, was a result of excess fuel igniting in muffler. Mine was caused by a dirty air filter, but raw fuel is raw fuel weather from rich mixture, possibly from a partially closed choke, a leaky carb, or other source. Even if your fuel pump is bypassing fuel, your float and needle valve should stop excess fuel I would think.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the response. The solenoid in the bottom of the carb. bowl shoots a plunger over the main fuel jet to stop bowl fuel from entering system to be fired, as soon as the key is turned off. A previous repair person must have found out it wasn't funtioning properly and clipped the end off, instead of buying a new one for $50.00. It seems to me, the solenoids ONLY function, is to prevent backfiring after the unit is turned off.

Have a GREAT day.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That is exactly the kind of (dis) service I fear when leaving my stuff at a shop. Please don't flame me, you guys who do this for a living and who actually care about the equipment being repaired. I am not sure if it is even possible to find out ahead of time, how reputable a shop is. I guess just ask a few basic questions and take a chance on them having an issue with your attempt to ascertain how competent they are.