Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-03-2006, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, I was going to pipe in anyway and say to Mr. Neumann that the only thing better that I’d like to see in that picture would be Maxi Paws sticking up on those risers. I truly think that he should stop by there and offer to paint the cement holding up those risers green.

And yes, on my property I have both cinder and pumice. Needless to say, it’s all around, and to top that off just several stone throws away from my place is the edge of a massive lava flow that’s part of a national monument.

Clay in the Rogue Valley, Sildoc?
Old 06-03-2006, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical Care
Hey, I was going to pipe in anyway and say to Mr. Neumann that the only thing better that Iíd like to see in that picture would be Maxi Paws sticking up on those risers. I truly think that he should stop by there and offer to paint the cement holding up those risers green.

And yes, on my property I have both cinder and pumice. Needless to say, itís all around, and to top that off just several stone throws away from my place is the edge of a massive lava flow thatís part of a national monument.

Clay in the Rogue Valley, Sildoc?
I know as hard as it is to believe, Critical, there is actually clay here. Unfortunately there is a whole lot of it. 50 miles north towards you you can actually get into some pummi country. Needless to say you all have better drainage than we have over here.
Do you live by Lava Butte National Monument? Went there last year for the first time. Hard to believe that you can live some where for so long and not see what is right next door.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sildoc, I do live near Lava Butte. That area is called Lava Lands and is part of the Newberry Volcanic National Monument which encompasses a large area, including Lava River Cave, and the mammoth Newberrry Caldera. The picture below is of Lava Butte. Its lava flow extends off to the left of the picture and is the same one thatís by my house. If you get up here again, make it a point to go into the Newberry Caldera.

Interesting about the clay over there. I would have thought of plenty organic matter, but probably not clay.
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2006, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Trekked up Hwy. 97 many times and been there, done that.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Sildoc, I do live near Lava Butte. That area is called Lava Lands and is part of the Newberry Volcanic National Monument which encompasses a large area, including Lava River Cave, and the mammoth Newberrry Caldera. The picture below is of Lava Butte. Its lava flow extends off to the left of the picture and is the same one thatís by my house. If you get up here again, make it a point to go into the Newberry Caldera.

Interesting about the clay over there. I would have thought of plenty organic matter, but probably not clay.
Wanted to but with 2 little ones at the time and now a 3rd it is hard to do everything you want untill they get a little bigger. Love it up there on North lake by Wikkiup?? So much to do. Fish the dechutes and about 500 short hiking trails that the kids can handle with out me carrying them to far. Make it a point to go up the cascade lakes hwy at least twice a year. Love Bend but the traffic sucks. Almost moved there when I got out of the Navy but my wife and I got really good jobs in Medford and well I found I could make a better living and take care of the kids cutting grass and doing small things.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sildoc
Almost moved there when I got out of the Navy but my wife and I got really good jobs in Medford...
Whoa! Surely you must have gotten another job other than cutting grass and fixing sprinkler heads!

And Hayes, I've been through your neck of the woods as well. Loved to ski the backcountry up at Sequoia when very few people would be up there. I remember a very nice Italian food place just off of 198... maybe on E. Mineral King Ave. A quiet day up in the giant trees followed by good food, a fireplace, and fine wine. Not too shabby.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Whoa! Surely you must have gotten another job other than cutting grass and fixing sprinkler heads!
Yes. Other than cutting grass and fixing heads.
I worked in the ER at Prov. of Medford for 2 years as my part time business went further than I even expected. More time off and no political BS. I made good money and was in the AC but had to pay the Babysitter 700 a month because I was always gone. I found out really quick I wished I had stayed in the Navy, because I was home more and able to do more things. Now I have most of the winter off for fishing and travel. Make as much as I was when I was in the ER and keep the kids out of the Babysitter. My wife brings home the bacon now. When I say that she has the health insurance and nice cushy 403B retirement plan that is matched. I pay off the nonessential and vacations, put into my wife's and I supplemental Ira's and a little in the bank. But the best part is being able to see the little ones class shows and other things in between jobs. Once they are all in school full time it is really time to grow, now we are very well off in my opinion. Good times together and a nice place to live and grow.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
And Hayes, I've been through your neck of the woods as well. Loved to ski the backcountry up at Sequoia when very few people would be up there. I remember a very nice Italian food place just off of 198... maybe on E. Mineral King Ave. A quiet day up in the giant trees followed by good food, a fireplace, and fine wine. Not too shabby.
You're probably referring to Rosa's on Mineral King down by the fire/police departments. Great food! All my doctors are fairly close to it and I've been known to pop in for some wine and cheese after an appointment. Our oldest high school and Mineral King Bowl are only a block west.

Sequoia has a LOT of snow this year. Problem is that the temps have finally turned into the 90s and WAY too much water is coming down as a result of the snow melt. They actually kept many of the rivers closed for use over the Memorial Day weekend due to high/fast water. There were still drownings though.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I’ll remember Rosa’s.

And talking about drowning, and making me think of the Killer Kern, we have an interesting situation out here on the Lower Deschutes where I generally take and guide a group rafting. The area is partially on the Warm Springs Indian Reservation and apparently a while back one of the tribal members fell into the river and drowned. The Indians strung a net across the river in an attempt to retrieve the body – which is part of their culture. However, as you can guess, it created a real hazard for people floating down the river.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprinklerGuy
The glue and primer are dripping down because the stupid installer put glue on the pipe AND in the fitting....sigh.
Anti-theft maybe or better yet, to catch a car that looses control from that curve in the foreground. You know like the wires that catch planes on a aircraft carrier.