Register free!

Old 06-02-2006, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Compact utility loaders for small operators?

I am considering a Toro Dingo with a few bells and whistles to reduce labor and wondered what equipment other small companies were using. Would one of these type units with a trencher, bucket, auger, and back-filling apparatus be the ticket?

What are you guys using?

-Russ
Old 06-02-2006, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on what kind of work you are doing. I have one and we just love it. We use it on small to medium landscape installs where the Bobcat is unable to get into or maneuver in. It is like having a couple of extra strong backed kids on the job. I'm planning to get another one by next spring so the crews won't have to fight over it.
I would call your local dealer and have him setup a demo for you. I didn't do that, and just bought mine based on the feedback from folks on this site and others, but I would really recommend that you get a demo before forking out that much cash. I have not met anyone that has used them and not absolutely loved them, but you might be the first.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

love mine as well. never leave the shop without it.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't mention that we have the trencher and a couple of buckets - including a 4n1. It would be nice to have the auger, but we find that for planting large plants we can just tip the trencher straight up and down and hog out the hole with it. You still have to shovel the dirt out, but it is all loose and broken up. I'm sure that if you plant a lot of trees or set a lot of fence posts the auger would be worth having, but if your budget is tight you may find that the trencher does the trick just fine. A soil cultivator is next on our list of major attachments.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Our guys use the Bobcat with 36" auger for planting trees. Works great when plantings might be 50-75 trees at a time spread out over 15-20 acres.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No doubt that would be worth getting the auger for. We typically will only have a half dozen or so large trees on a job so hand digging the loose dirt out of the hole is not a big deal. If we ever get a large planting job I will definitely purchase the auger setup.

On a job like that do you typically use the auger to dig all of the holes and then come back and use the tree forks to plant them, or do you just have the guys muscle them in as the holes are dug.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Usually they'll be muscled unless they're special large boxed trees. Smaller trees are handled by students who are "aided" by an arborist as part of a Tree City USA grant and project. There's probably been over 2000 trees planted at school sites here over the past four years.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What type of material do you typically dig in? Does the Bobcat ever have any trouble spinning that large of an auger? We have a lot of clay and hard pan here but very little rock. I have often wondered how well the Dingo would spin a large 30-36" auger.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The TX420 Dingo has no problem spinning the 30" auger bit in clay soil around here, just when you start to hit flat rocks does it start to drill off center and stop until you get out the rock bar to break it up.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Our Bobcat (#773 I think) spins the large auger at a slow yet powerful speed. Never seen it balk and we run the gamut in soils depending on where in the area you are.