Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-04-2006, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Summer work?

Do most landscapers stay busy throughout the summer? This is my first full year. I had done it part time in the past, so I just took off the hot summers. I thought things would at least slow down over the summer, but right now we just keep getting jobs. I am booked out through the first week of july right now. I know once august gets here people start to thing about landscaping much more, so I am now worried about the rest of the season.

Reason why I am asking is because I need to hire another employee. I just hired someone a few weeks ago, and I would really like to hire someone else so that I can get rid of some of the subcontractors. I would also like to get someone hired for the fall, because I know I will be swamped.

We do sod installs, landscaping, a few ponds, and we are trying to get into lighting more.
“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victor nor defeat.”

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old 06-04-2006, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

It is really hard to tell. If they are coming in like you say though, you will more than likely be busy throughout the year.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually get a little slow in the middle of summer when the grass isnt going much, but we have had so much rain this season i still have landscape jobs stacked up. I should be pretty busy all summer.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

we stay pleanty busy here all summer. alot of new homes being built here and landscape has to be in for closing.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Member

yup, around here in the summer new home cunstruction really goes nuts cause you can actually get some work done when its dry. Some landscapers here keep plenty busy doing only new installs