Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-04-2006, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

23 HP Kawasaki RPM WAY Too High

I have a 61" Scag with a 23 HP Kawasaki FH680V that needed the valves reseated. I thought it would be a good idea to try and tackle that today. I went to my dealer and bought everything I needed yesterday. I was able to complete the job. While I was at it I also cleaned the carb. The motor starts and runs, but now it revs way too high all the way from idle to full throttle. Idle now sounds like 3/4 throttle did prior to the work. At full throttle it sounds like it wants to take off.

During the process of the work I had to remove the throttle plate and in an effort to fix this RPM problem I tried to adjust the governor per the Kawasaki manual. It didn't work. I am guessing the problem is somewhere in one of these two items or the carb. I need to mow tomorrow and this is the only machine I have. Any suggestions about how to fix the problem would be greatly appreciated.

I know it was stupid to do this, but I am young and poor and was trying to save some money.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you have a manual sitting there look in it and make sure you have the throttle linkage and gov. spring in the right places, It also tells you how to adjust the high speed no load rpm. The manual has all the answers to your problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 06-04-2006, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, my guess is that a throttle spring is in the wrong hole causing too much spring pull on the gov arm.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 06-04-2006, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, your governor plate is out of whack.

You'll need to adjust that, and you'll need a tach to do it properly... along with some patients.

The screws that hold the governor plate have serated heads/bite heads to keep them from vibrating out. Right before they get so tight the plate can no longer move... well the serated heads will make the plate want to 'climb' up or down. So if you don't watch it will move a lot without you noticing and it doesn't take a lot to rev her up.

But if you can do the valves, you can do this.. heck even I can.
Just stay calm... lol... it aggrivates me when I have to do it... and it's about time for adjustments on mine too...

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 06-05-2006, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Also, don't overtighten those to screws that hold the plate. They thread into aluminum and it strips out easily(been there done that). I'll post a link to a pic that may help you.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 06-05-2006, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Here is a link that shows which direction you need to move in order to decrease the rpms. You may already know this but just in case.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=72835

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 06-05-2006, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you all for the help. I have adjusted the throttle and it works, but now I have a new problem that I can't find in the manual. When I engage the blades I am getting a puff of black smoke. If I engage the blades at high speed it happens immediately and if I engage at low RPM it puffs when I rev up. There is also a slight popping sound that wasn't there before. ANy idea what this could be? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I did learn one lesson. Take it to the dealer for service.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I just did a little more investigation. The choke is not sticking. The intake valve on cylinder #1 has a gap of .050". Could this be causing my problem? I must have adjusted it off of TDC. Thanks
Old 06-05-2006, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Check manual for proper carb. adjustment. It sounds like it is just a little too rich.(black smoke generally means flooding). If not noted in manual then wave at Restrorob. He's the expert.
As far as the "take it to dealer" comment, just look how much knowlwdge you gainned and all the new friends you made by taking on this job yourself.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canam
I just did a little more investigation. The choke is not sticking. The intake valve on cylinder #1 has a gap of .050". Could this be causing my problem? I must have adjusted it off of TDC. Thanks
Check manual for proper valve lash and re-set them as instructed in manual.That sounds like it is far too much gap. Usually more like .006 and .010 . Again Restrorob can help you.