Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-05-2006, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Need ideas for a good screening shrub

I'm here to ask the experts. I live in N. Georgia on a hillside lot and want to create a border of shrubs around the front edge of my lawn to screen off some of the traffic noise from the road about 50 yards downhill. The area to cover would be about 150' so I'd have to plant quite a few and so would want to start with 1-3 gal plants rather than more mature specimens. Because of the way the angle is down to the road, they don't have to be more than about 4' tall to serve that function, but could get up to 10' or so before blocking my view or getting out of proportion.

Color from blooms or foliage would be a plus. I prefer dark green to varigated though if it's not a blooming plant. Sun is mostly full sun, but there is a high tree canopy that puts the area in the shade in the morning.

So far I've come up with Privets as the obvious choice. Any other ideas?
Old 06-05-2006, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Red tip photinas?
Old 06-05-2006, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucec32
I'm here to ask the experts. I live in N. Georgia on a hillside lot and want to create a border of shrubs around the front edge of my lawn to screen off some of the traffic noise from the road about 50 yards downhill. The area to cover would be about 150' so I'd have to plant quite a few and so would want to start with 1-3 gal plants rather than more mature specimens. Because of the way the angle is down to the road, they don't have to be more than about 4' tall to serve that function, but could get up to 10' or so before blocking my view or getting out of proportion.

Color from blooms or foliage would be a plus. I prefer dark green to varigated though if it's not a blooming plant. Sun is mostly full sun, but there is a high tree canopy that puts the area in the shade in the morning.

So far I've come up with Privets as the obvious choice. Any other ideas?
If your not looking to create a 'hedge' maybe try planting 2 or 3 different types of material. It would give a more relaxed look and would not be so fussy. Plant 3 of one type, then 2 of another, then 3 etc. forming small triangular groups to screen as needed.

Suggestions (I live in the NW so I can plant ANYTHING I WANT, with in reason!):

-Viburnum Tin. 'robustum'/Spring Bouquet Laurustinus - great fragrance, nice leaves.
-Osmanthus Delavayi- great fragrance, once established is very drought tolerant.
-Ceanothus California Lilac Julia Phelps - stunning vibrant blue flowers, very drought tolerant once established.
-Abutus Unedo Strawberry tree - very drought tolerant.
-Esallonia 'Apple Blossom' - shiny leaves, nice flowers. drought tolerant once established.

Hope that helps out.

'That government is best which governs least'; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically. Carried out, it finally amounts to this, which also I believe ó 'That government is best which governs not at all.' ~ Henry David Thoreau
Old 06-06-2006, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks, I will print the list and see if they are compatible with this area. Mixing it up is a good idea too. I might be able to go with some deciduous bushes that bloom in summer if I have some evergreens mixed in with them.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You have plenty ideas for shrubbery to provide visual screening, but don't rely on shrubs to provide a noise barrier. It won't work. I looked into this for a property I was considering buying. If possible, build a dirt berm and install shrubbery on it. That's the best noise reduction. Do a google search on the subject...it's well documented on decibel reduction.

Good luck!

Dan