Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-10-2006, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

What to use for ticks, fleas, grubs?

I use merit for grubs, but a customer asked if it killed ticks and fleas as well. Rather than answer incorrectly I told her I would research it. So, Does Merit kill all the above or is there something else I should be using? Also I last year I did only one application in July and still had damage. How many of you are using 2 apps? Say late june and mid august. If merit doesn't kill ticks should I use something else first and then merit for the second?
Old 06-10-2006, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

no, merit will not kill fleas ans ticks, the mode of action is plant uptake so the insects need to eat the plant. i use talstar, works great and it will also kill your surface feeding insects like sod webworm.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

1 app of Merit should do the job, you want to get it down by June/July and make sure it gets watered in throughly. for late season grub attacks I use Dylox. Talstar works great for all surface feeding insects.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Merit WILL kill on contact as well as by ingestion, but the insects would have to be around at the time of application. I have always used Talstar for ants, ticks, fleas, etc. Sevin is OK, but Talstar works best for me.As far as a second app of merit goes, last year was a disaster everywhere on the east coast. Here in CT we had no rain for 45 days and we had hazy hot and humid followed hot dry and windy. Worst sets of conditions I've seen in a long time. There was Merit failure everywhere. The lawn has to be actively growing, and then the product has to be watered in thoroughly. If the lawn was shut down from heat/drought stress, it would not have gotten enough of the product in. Or it might not have been watered in enough. Thoroughly means at least 1/4" of water, not a quick 5 minutes with a sprinkler or a passing shower. And a serious downpour from a thunder storm would only serve to possible wash the product away.
There is a new product out called Allectus, which is basically Merit and Talstar combined. Should work great. It is definitely cheaper than buying the 2 seperately.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

OK so I'll look around for Allectus. I have always been under the impression that grubs have two cycles a year. Here I notice it to be june and august. All the damage I have experienced is not from the grubs themselves, but the skunks and rodents digging up the lawns to eat them. This always happens right after Labor Day. So would it be OK to use Talsar now (June) and Merit in early august as long as the grass is active. If the grass is not active would the merit still kill the grubs via contact, with proper watering. How long does the merit stay active for. If I apply in june will it still kill the beetles that come over from the neighbors in august. Sorry for all the silly questions, I'm new at this grub thing. Any info is great.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

For the cost comparisons we did, we found that it was way more expensive. It is the price you pay to be able to do them both in one application. If you can find it cheaper than the two seperate, please let me know where.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well...

You need to be careful when selling a flea and tick application at least in North Carolina. Fleas and ticks are not considered an ornamental or turf pest. So in NC you CAN NOT apply any chemistry to control only these pest unless you also have a structural pesticide license. There is a major debate right now on LCO's applying Top Choice, from what I understand this should blow over. This may not be an issue in your state.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Flea and tick apps around here are basically talstar, blanket app on the entire if it is a bad infestation, then just do perimeter apps every 6-8 weeks. We have Lyme disease, spread by Ixodes Scapularis, the Deer Tick. One of the worst insect borne disease in a very long time. It started in Old Lyme, CT., and is slowly spreading across the contry. They think it is being spread by birds carrying the critters around. Very nasty disease. Attacks the central nervous system, and 20% of the victims show no symptoms. Normally, a bullseye shaped rash appears at the wound site, followed by flu-like symptoms. The worst part is that it is the nymph's that feed on humans, and they are about the size of a period from a typewriter (.<--about that big)
Old 06-12-2006, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yes we have lymes here. Actually this whole concern started when one of my customers started aking questions cause her son got lymes 2 years ago. Not sure about the way it's carried though. I usually find several ticks on me a week so I do a daily check. Usually they are the bigger ones, but every now and then I find a deer tick. Those little bastards are hard to see. Anyways, so do I double app at the same time. Or Talsar then Merit later? Also the perimeter apps of talstar only stop crawling insects right? Not the ones that are brought on property by animals correct.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Allectus

first time this yr. that i am using this product.

$217.00 per gal.

2003 ford F 150
1- 14' OPEN TRAILER sold
1- 16' open trailer
BILLMASTER SOFTWARE FOR MY LAWN CARE.
http://www.customizedbusinesssoftware.com
QUICK BOOKS FOR ACCOUNTING
1- Z SPRAY Intermediate
1- Z SPRAY MAX
2-Z PLUGGER
1-Lesco Renovator
1- CLASSEN SPLIT REEL CORE AERATOR
1- 150 GAL NURSE TANK WITH A 20 GPM TIGER PUMP.