Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-27-2007, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUSTYCEDAR View Post
i did read the lable and like i said 1 app at the high rate is all that is alowed per season then what do i do?
in regards to the pets
Old 03-27-2007, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccash View Post
Well said you are correct, But if you sell them a fire ant treatment you can use top choice and it will also give the best control for fleas and ticks.
i believe the label for topchoice gives control of fleas for one month, granular talstar will give longer control
Old 03-27-2007, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

she is all freaked out about ticks due to her kid having Lyme and she thinks more is better and i keep telling her no
Old 03-27-2007, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
I use merit for grubs, but a customer asked if it killed ticks and fleas as well. Rather than answer incorrectly I told her I would research it. So, Does Merit kill all the above or is there something else I should be using? Also I last year I did only one application in July and still had damage. How many of you are using 2 apps? Say late june and mid august. If merit doesn't kill ticks should I use something else first and then merit for the second?
As you already read here Grubs are underground and would be treated different than surface insects. But there is a lot of Misinformation in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Al View Post
they reproduce very fast so normally you would have to do more than one app
Yes fleas and ticks have a 28 day life cycle and Eggs can hatch out and re-infest if follow up control treatment is not done. BTW Flea eggs can go dormant for up to two years and then hatch in the Presents of CO2 from mammal breath. They need a Mammal Blood meal in order to reproduce.

Quote:
so if everyone is using talstar for ticks and it says to go at the high rate of 200 lbs per acre and that is the max for the year u r allowed to apply per season what do u do for the rest of the year? if the customer wants 4 apps per season?
Granular Talstar treatment is not any where near as effective as liquid spray. Ticks and Fleas will live in bushes or trees waiting for a mammal to pass by and jump on that mammal for their Blood meal. They are very sensitive to both C02 and vibration.

Quote:
i did read the lable and like i said 1 app at the high rate is all that is alowed per season then what do i do?
High rates of Talstar are not needed for fleas and ticks if liquid spray is used. High rates of Granular Talstar are best saved for heavy Ant infestations. Even Talstar only gets 75 to 80% of the ants. Baits can be effective up to 95%

Quote:
Well said you are correct, But if you sell them a fire ant treatment you can use top choice and it will also give the best control for fleas and ticks.
As stated before Fleas and ticks will live in shrubs and trees where granular Top Choice can not reach. Therefore Top Choice is not the Best Choice for Fleas and Ticks.

Just Because an insect is on the label of a product doesn't mean that product is the best control agent for that insect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampeg76 View Post
i believe the label for topchoice gives control of fleas for one month, granular talstar will give longer control
Granules do have longer residual as a general rule than liquids but whether you use Granules of liquids you have to make contact in some way with the target species you wish to control

Quote:
in regards to the pets
Pyrethroids (which Talstar is) are fairly safe to all mammals and even birds. However very little in a pond will kill fish. Should you or your dog-cat drink a pyrethoids you would experience dry mouth because it will close the saliva glans temporary. Dogs and Cats will react to this by foaming at the mouth. Give them water and they will be OK.

OK The most effective way to control Fleas and Ticks.

1. ID and know the life cycle of the pest you are dealing with.

2. Keep pets on preventives like front line from your local Vet.

3. Have a professional apply Precor and a general household insecticide to the inside of your home. You are not paying him for WHAT he uses but WHERE AND HOW he uses it. Knowledge is key here.

4. Every 30 days for up to 3 months if nesscessary, Blanket Apply a low rate AI Pyrethroid insecticide in a high volume spray to every shrub. tree, bush, weed, and grass on your property and if you can talk the neigbor into it do his place also. I use 10 gallons of finish spray @ 0.5 oz of Talstar per thousand sq ft.

PS If I stepped on anyones toes, Well so be it. There was just too much misinformation in this thread. I don't like to type this much with one finger, so I let a lot of misinformation go on most of the time by not replying.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
but it dosnt
Old 03-27-2007, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
but it dosnt
i would have to disagree, with the company i currently work for, talstar has had better effect!

i treated a property with mucho fleas(while spreading i could see numerous fleas having a field day on my shirt, i ended up going stripping down to boxers at a local carwash, red bites everywhere!), with granular talstar ez, it took care of the problem within a week, the treatment lasted around 3 months!

i also treated a property in the burbs for fireants and fleas with topchoice, fleas were visibly active at one month and about two weeks!
Old 03-28-2007, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

thanks ric
Old 03-28-2007, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
i would have to disagree, with the company i currently work for, talstar has had better effect!

i treated a property with mucho fleas(while spreading i could see numerous fleas having a field day on my shirt, i ended up going stripping down to boxers at a local carwash, red bites everywhere!), with granular talstar ez, it took care of the problem within a week, the treatment lasted around 3 months!

i also treated a property in the burbs for fireants and fleas with topchoice, fleas were visibly active at one month and about two weeks!
Ampeg

Too bad you don't work for a knowledgeable CPO. With the correct control method you would never of been bitten that bad.

Quote:
thanks ric
You are welcome. But as a one finger typer it took me longer than I wanted to made this post. I see so much mis-information here that I don't correct because it takes time to correct.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Ampeg

Too bad you don't work for a knowledgeable CPO. With the correct control method you would never of been bitten that bad.
LOL..
Old 03-28-2007, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Ampeg

You are welcome. But as a one finger typer it took me longer than I wanted to made this post. I see so much mis-information here that I don't correct because it takes time to correct.
JUST USE WHITE OUT ON THE SCREEN LOL IT WORKS FOR ME