Register free!

Old 06-13-2006, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

lesco Three-way selective herbicide

I had a guy come out to the house to spray the clover in my lawn. He used lesco three-way it came in a gallon container. I have some kudsu and poison oak I asked him to spray and he used the same product. I didn't pay anything for him to spray the little bit of kudsu and poison oak so I'm not really expecting much. Is that lesco a good product or should I call someone else who will use something better?
Old 06-13-2006, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

For clover, it's iffy. It is usually best of it has a little something else mixed in (Momentum, MSMA, etc.).

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Use it at the correct rate and it is a good product. Not my first weapon of choice, but it ain't bad. Similar to Ortho Weed B Gone. Add some Quicksilver to it and it kicks serious butt. Never sprayed Kudzu before so I can't comment. Wait and see if it works or not.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wanted to see if it was a heavy duty product. I have a lot of clover and wanted to get rid of it fast. I guess next time I'll just do it myself with a home depot stuff and save money. Thans.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

don't know how much property you have, but if you grab a gallon of speedzone and a backpack sprayer, it will knock the clover and other hard to kill weeds out fast. also as mentiond, quick silver is an awsom product, just alittle expensive if its just for your lawn. as far as the kudzu, round up should do a good job, control just depends on how extensive the root/vine system is.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulano
I wanted to see if it was a heavy duty product. I have a lot of clover and wanted to get rid of it fast. I guess next time I'll just do it myself with a home depot stuff and save money. Thans.
It's not what I'd call a "heavy duty product" but then, neither is anything that you're going to be buying at home depot. I'd make sure that a surfactant(sticker) is used before you go writing off any products usefullness, especially on waxy surfaced plants like clover. Keep in mind, the idea with most selective controls is to leave desirable plants while removing undesirables. Nothing that does that is going to be "heavy duty". you want dead? I can kill everything in your yard, trees included, with a single app..that's not what you are looking for.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

for clover and other broadleaf weeds, you cant beat Speedzone. clover shrivels up within hours. I fell in love with this product this year. it works wonders.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Matt,

I have been using speedzone via a solo backpack and the temps were around 80 with a label mix rate of 1.5 oz per gallon. I have been getting turf injury on bluegrass and fescue with this rate when spot spraying! Can you give me any tips on preventing this from happening ? I apply to weeds until I can see that they are pretty wet. Am I over applying? Should I just lightly wet them? Does the pressure or tip size make a difference with this product or any weed control out of a backpack when just spot spraying? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Darron
Old 06-26-2006, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

"mist" kills
Old 06-26-2006, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

as with most spray applications all you need is a walk-by spray amount, meaning calibrate you sprayer to your walking speed, then just walk on by the weed as your spraying and that is all you need, just a light mist/drops on the leaves. most herbicides are applied this way, round up included. in some cases drounding the weeds w/ chemical can kill the plant to fast, and leaving the roots to regrow. also, on weeds that have a heavy wax leaf, soaking them can cause exsess run off and carry the herbicide off with it (i have found this more on treating aquatic plants though, i'm sure its still possible on land dwellers too).