Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-30-2001, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Member

pricing for broadleaf control in turf?

I'm new to the application side of the business. My main market is 40 miles away. I live in a rural area. There are many applicators in my main market, but I believe I'm the only licensed applicator where I live.

This is a great position to be in. I've focused all of my energy at the bigger market, but now I'm getting calls for spraying here at home. Being the only game in town as far as applications go, I think I can make some decent money.

I have my pricing down as far as mowing, etc.. goes. But for applications I'm not sure where I am. For example I've been charging $18-20 per 1000 sq/ft for applying Millenium Ultra. People haven't batted an eye at these prices.

Just want to see what you are getting in other parts of the country. A bit excited, apps are better than sex! Getting my license was the best move I've made. Think I need to start directing my business towards the app side. Seems like everybody has a mower, but not as many can legally apply chemicals.
Old 05-30-2001, 01:34 AM
Millenium Member

$180.00 for a 10k lawn? You have got to be kidding!
Old 05-30-2001, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Kirby,

Actually did a 2k lawn tonight for $43.12 (tax in there). Did a 3k lawn the other day for $55. Don't know how my prices would fly on anything bigger than these postage stamp lawns. But damn, if they are biting at these prices I'm not complaining.
Old 05-30-2001, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jason those prices will only work on postage stamp lawns and is basically a stop charge plus a little application work. Try selling that to a 10 K lawn and you'll quickly find yourself overpriced in the market place.

If you notice, printers often charge a high rate for 250 pieces and then the cost per piece drops as you order many more of them. The reason being, once its all set up on the press it dont cost much to keep cranking them out.

Best of luck

CMerLand
Old 05-31-2001, 04:39 PM
Millenium Member

Jason, I forgot to answer your question, I charge $35 stop fee and $3 per k for 5 step.
Old 05-31-2001, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just quoted a large lawn and couldn't compete. The previous company quoted 180 for 115k. I don't understand how they can make money at this. Must have large equipment. Just trying to illustrate how pricing per/k must be lower as the area treated gets bigger if you want to compete.
Old 05-31-2001, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses. I realize I'll never get 20 bucks/k on larger lawns. But I'm sure liking these little ones. And no competition is sure a welcome change.

I'm not pushing apps in my main market as I have a feeling I'll have a tough time competing with the big boys. I do offer them, just am not aggresively marketing apps there.
Old 06-01-2001, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

WOW, what a deal. That Millennium Ultra costs you about $0.45 per ounce and you can make 18 to 20 bucks per 1k. Sign those people up for a 20 year contract. If I had that potential I would even buy their kids Christmas presents.
Good for you.

I am in year 2 and still give 1 "free" ap of Millennium for anyone who signs up for a 4 or 5 ap program. Its a new business incentive. Next year I will charge for the apps for new customers and let my originals have it free for getting me started. Its hard to compete with Scumlawn and the other nationwide fast food type applicators.
Old 06-03-2001, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

the smallies do seem to pay more per kft, but the biggies seem to pay my overhead. Try to market in your area to get all the people that might be interested, and make the smallies you do black green and perfect and use them as references. if yoou could get all the folks on a block, you might be willing to lower your price to make more overall bucks. we have a 35 minimum and I seem to get 2-3 lawns in a neighborhood and make more than if I charged 55 and only got one. Try and own all the chem business in your hometown. I know a guy in Arkansas that bags 300k per year doing chem work in a small ( -13,000 pop) town by himself. he works about 9 months out of the year and does pretty well on the profit side. Dave g
Old 06-03-2001, 03:37 PM

I am at $25-35 Per app on houses ranging from 1000-8000sqft.
The postage stamps do seem to pay better since very little material is used (I am on my 3rd season with the same gallon of Confront for 25 accounts. It is said to lose some strength through long term storage, but I am mixing .9 oz per gallon instead of .75 and doing fine with no damage to turf). Most are at spot applications at this point.

Do you guys charge more to spray the whole lawn than you would for a spot app. on a property you have been maintaining ? I found that I priced some for the whole property and after a couple of seasons I am doing spot apps. at the original price with much less time and Confront used.

jeffyr