Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-17-2006, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Mulching Problem

Hi, first time poster here...

I'm just your average Joe Homeowner who cuts his own grass. I've got a Toro mulching mower that I picked up at Home Depot about two years ago. Recently I have noticed the mower is leaving more grass clippings on the lawn than normal. I sharpen the blade and change the oil regularly. I have checked the mover to make sure there is no grass clogged anywhere. I don't know what else could be causing this. Any ideas from the experts?
Old 06-17-2006, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What is you cut height? Also make sure the your rear tires are set one notch higher then your front so that you create a vacuum effect under the deck if it is set perfectly level this maybe why the extra clippings. I am in Florida and I will guess you have St.Augustine grass that during the summer with a mulch mower needs to be cut every 7-10 days no question if it is real high and you may have to make half passes so not to clog the deck. Hope this helps
Old 06-18-2006, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Adjusted the tires...it worked...kinda. There are still some clippings but there are a lot less. I cut every 3-4 days. I hate this grass...yeah, it's Saint Augustine. We call it "crab grass" up in Chicago.

Let me also say that I am disappointed in the lack of responses from you folks. Where's the love?
Old 06-19-2006, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Member

love coming....lol

I know this may seem like a silly question but i have to ask. I have a cust who only wants me to cut every other week. He mows in between times cuz that all he can do. Anyhow..... he calls me one day says" hey I am getting lots of clippings, more than usual. What do I do??" I went and checked out his mower...he had put the blades on upside down on accident even thought he had done it 100times before. Just a thought. The other thought is have a mower place check the rpms on the mower. Maybe its not cutting fast enough.???
Old 06-19-2006, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by berg81
Let me also say that I am disappointed in the lack of responses from you folks. Where's the love?

I'm with lawns4less, Have the engine RPM checked.
BTW, You did post on kind of a holiday weekend......I posted a thread about my grass in another section and didn't get the first reply, I think everybody was
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 06-19-2006, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Those toro's mulch very well if you dont overload the deck. Cutting every week in thick st.augustine may very well be too much for it. Try cutting 1/2 the width of the deck at a time and see how it does.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

berg81
Jim here. I have only been a member of the forum for a short time but be assured, you have found a potentially _very_ authoritative resource for all your needs, so don't just go away mad. When I first started to post, a member volunteered that, if you don't get the response you expected, it does not mean you are being ignored. Try wording the 'subject' of your request differently, then repost, even if you just cut and paste the same message to which you got little attention. My personal experience is that, after reading both what I posted, and possibly a members response, that I will usually think of a better way to explain my problem. Does that make sense?
The thing that helps me most is using the "preview Post" option (and spell check) as it makes me rethink what I put in print.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Whoops, forgot something.
As restrorob has stated till he has blue smoke coming out his ears, _Read the 4th post from top of this forum_. Always include model, serial, code numbers and anything else of that nature. Makes no difference what kind of machine, most solutions to problems are specific to that machine and the guys/gals don't read minds.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm assuming since you bought at Home Depot, you got one of the steel deck mulchers. If this is the case, I consider it to be one of Toro's serious mistakes. Its design is so similar to Sears Craftsman, it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't made by AYP. It is also blessed with the Tecumseh engine. I'm with Restro, check your engine rpms and cut every 3-4 days to reduce the amount of grass floating around inside the deck. If I remember correctly(I haven't worked in a dealership for a couple of years) the blade on your mower is a cupped style blade and nearly impossible to get on upside down, but you won't believe the number of complaints I saw over the years that were a result of having the blade in that orientation. Blade was sharp but not able to do any cutting.

In addition, use a screwdriver to pull the grass shields on the drive wheels to allow lubrication of the pinion gears on the drive system. They were notorious for their ability to sieze to the drive shaft.