Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-17-2006, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Echo HC-200 Blades Frozen

This hedge clipper is only a bit over 2 years old (naturally-out of warranty), and the blades won't move. I've checked the blades carefully and can see no debris which might jam the unit. When you rev the engine, it just bogs down as the blades won't go. The last time I used it, a week or so ago, it was fine as the blades moved freely prior to shut down at which time I usually spray the blades with WD-40.
Anyway, I find it hard to believe a bearing could seize so early in its life, especially since it has seen limited duty, being used only on my own yard. So, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas before I tear it down.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

With the HT off (PLZ) check the blade bolt washers on the bottom of the blade a bar assembly they should all have a little side to side movement if you cant move one with your fingers then it is too tight and will need to be adjusted. You can do this by loosening the nut on the top of the bar then turning the bolt so that the washer moves then hold to bolt in place and re-tighten the nut on top. Hope this helps
Old 06-17-2006, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks. I'll take a look.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If that was not the problem then take off the gearcase cover plate and check for rusted (yes, water goes most everywhere) conrod bearings.

Left Lantana for Guam in 1962. Miss the cool temps.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Check the bolts that hold the blades on. I tightened them too much last year & for the life of me couldn't figure out what sounds like the exact problem you are having.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

this is pretty common on echo trimmers- rusted up bearings . another reason to buy shindawia
Old 06-17-2006, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ran into this the other day at work...

An lco brought in a hc150 that had the bottom gear case cover loose. He ran it like that anyway and it caused the main gear in the gear case to shear. His machine is now waiting for a new gear, bottom blade and other assorted gaskets and such. A costly mistake by running it even though he knew there was a problem!
Old 06-18-2006, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Common problem due to design for most HT's

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy dan
this is pretty common on echo trimmers- rusted up bearings . another reason to buy shindawia
Well Dan man, hate to bust your bubble but this is also a common occurence on the Shindaiwa models. For that matter it is the same on Robin and Maruyama units. I have had more Shindaiwa's come in with this problem than other brands on the market out here.

If the blade bolts are set properly this is the next most common problem, rusted conrods/bearings.

Shindaiwa Sudden Service Elite Dealer for over 11 years - '88-'99. First Shogun dealer and first Emperor single store dealer. No BS, I do have the creds to back it up.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

at least shindawia gives you a grease fitting on the gear case so if you are inclinded to do you can keep the gearcase full of grease to keep h20 out and keep corrosion to a min.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAELI
Well Dan man, hate to bust your bubble but this is also a common occurence on the Shindaiwa models. For that matter it is the same on Robin and Maruyama units. I have had more Shindaiwa's come in with this problem than other brands on the market out here.

If the blade bolts are set properly this is the next most common problem, rusted conrods/bearings.

Shindaiwa Sudden Service Elite Dealer for over 11 years - '88-'99. First Shogun dealer and first Emperor single store dealer. No BS, I do have the creds to back it up.
AAELI,
Where is this bearing you are refering to? I thought there is a gear attached to the ring actuated by the clutch. The two main gears inside the gear case don't seem it have much of any kind of bearing other than maybe a bronze bushing. I never had anything inside these gear cases wear out/lock up. Almost all my lockups are due to the five blade bolts getting tight.