Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-19-2006, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Decided on Tanaka

I have decided to give Tanaka another shot. For a while I have been interested in a 40cc trimmer (the TBC-420PF) in particular. However I have been way skeptical because about two years ago I bought a TBC-2510 on Ebay. My whole experience with this trimmer was negative.

First it arrived with a trimmer shaft meant for a different model. Then, when I finally did get the right shaft from the seller, I could not get the brain trimmer head working to save my life. So finally (fed up with dealing with this piece of $h*% seller) I just went down to the nearest tanaka dealer and bought a regular bump head. After I got the thing completely assembled with some decent .95 commercial trimmer line, I went out to cut with it for the first time. It was the strangest thing that I have ever felt in my life. It seemed to cut the grass alright and I had the right amount of line out but at the same time it was completely powerless. Or at least that is what I concluded the problem was because I cannot even begin to describe it differently.

I have used a couple different trimmer brands and I know that once you are used to one, it can be hard to get a feel for a different brand but I am sure that was not the issue. I have got to ask if anyone else has experienced something like this with any trimmer. And for those of you that have used Stihl, Redmax, Eco ect. and then tried a Tanaka, did you feel like this at all when first using the trimmer? By the way, this is not the first time I have bought a worthless item on Ebay and I have sworn to never use that sight again.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker/redmax
I have decided to give Tanaka another shot. For a while I have been interested in a 40cc trimmer (the TBC-420PF) in particular. However I have been way skeptical because about two years ago I bought a TBC-2510 on Ebay. My whole experience with this trimmer was negative.

First it arrived with a trimmer shaft meant for a different model. Then, when I finally did get the right shaft from the seller, I could not get the brain trimmer head working to save my life. So finally (fed up with dealing with this piece of $h*% seller) I just went down to the nearest tanaka dealer and bought a regular bump head. After I got the thing completely assembled with some decent .95 commercial trimmer line, I went out to cut with it for the first time. It was the strangest thing that I have ever felt in my life. It seemed to cut the grass alright and I had the right amount of line out but at the same time it was completely powerless. Or at least that is what I concluded the problem was because I cannot even begin to describe it differently.

I have used a couple different trimmer brands and I know that once you are used to one, it can be hard to get a feel for a different brand but I am sure that was not the issue. I have got to ask if anyone else has experienced something like this with any trimmer. And for those of you that have used Stihl, Redmax, Eco ect. and then tried a Tanaka, did you feel like this at all when first using the trimmer? By the way, this is not the first time I have bought a worthless item on Ebay and I have sworn to never use that sight again.
I don't like the brain head, stick with the semi auto head. You said that the trimmer was cutting fine, just didn't seem to have power, so something is wrong inside that statement. I believe you just were not used to the quietness/smoothness of the Tanaka. The same thing happens when you use a twisted trimmer line, it just seems too quiet to do the job, even though it will cut even faster/cleaner.

48" Exmark Turf Tracer w/ Proslide XT -- for sale in Spring!
Tanaka 600 Edger
2 Tanaka 230 Trimmer
Makita 4 stroke equipment
Gravely 100 ProTurn 48"
Toro 48" T-bar w/ Proslide will be on the trailer in Spring 2012!
Old 06-19-2006, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had numerous models of Tanaka trimmers. The 2510 is a heavy one, but no heavier than any other brand of large trimmer. For general grass trimming(NOT big weed field clearing) my favorite is the TBC230. I have had good service from Tanaka products, and I have Stihl,Redmax , Shindiwa and Echo units to compare them to.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have had several Tanaka trimmers. All were the TBC 2510. Loved the trimmer, but the brain head was not useful. A bump head is much better because you have complete control over when you get more stiring. I have also had Shindaiwa trimmers. I prefer the Shindaiwa, but there is not really much different in weight and power. The original trimmer you bought must have been a lemon. One thing you might check if you still have the unit is the exhaust screen in the muffler. If it is clogged then it will have no power. I usually just remove the screen. I have had a couple of Tanaka hedge trimmers and they have performed well. They are the lightest model I have found. I'm only 150 lbs, so I need something light.
2-Walker 20 HP GHS, 1-Walker 26 hp GHS, 1-Walker 23 hp GHS, 42 and 48 GHS decks, 42 mulch deck, 42 discharge deck, 3-Honda WB, 3 Shind Trimmers, Stihl BR600 blower, Shind 260 edger, Two Shind Multi-tool with artic. clippers and chainsaw, Redmax 8000 blower, Redmax 7001 blower, Shind 803 Blower, Spyker walk spreader, sprayer for Walker mower, 3-Stihl chainsaws.