Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-27-2006, 02:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Feel like crying

I meet this older man at a gas station I am cutting. He is a dead ringer for Mr. Burns from the Simpsons. I feel sorry for this guy and his sob story. Three cuts in, my guys tell me he is a major PITA. I decide to handle his grass the next two times. I gave this guy an inch and he wants 100 miles!

He is forever looking over MY shoulder, talkin (just like Mr. Burns). He is actually weird....he will bring something up like...."You aren't supposed to trim that low, I dont like it low" but he says it in a mean and angry way then 1 minute later, he is normal again.

Anyway, I decided I would drop him so instead of billing him $200 for the month to cut his house, I charged him $250 because there are 5 weeks in June...........he pays it no questions asked. He asked for reseeding, I quoted him a ridiculous price and he pays it....he is hard to get rid of.

I have asked him three times to stay away from the workers to avoid injury.....nope, not him. I cannot risk it any longer. He has to go...I'm upset cuz he is S U C H a L O S E R and no one else will stay with him if I leave. Oh well....I still had to vent. Safety first.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well extra is nice! But I would drop him.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

it is easy to say.......yeah bleed this guy ....but you are right .i was in a similar situation once .safety is more important than money
Old 06-27-2006, 02:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ah common..just tell him he needs to keep away..that he can watch from a distance. The old guy is just lonley. He pays well and on time..if you can just resolve the saftery issue..say make him wear some protective gear..then you have a good customer. What I have found works well for these kinds of people is to give them a job to do to keep them busy. Ask for his help in one area while your working the other areas. Give him a broom or ask him to read a thick pamplete of some equipment instructions cuz you don't understand what it says.
Find something to keep him occupied.
It's hard to find good customers..try finding other ways of dealing with him before you kick him to the curb.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshovel
Ah common..just tell him he needs to keep away..that he can watch from a distance. The old guy is just lonley. He pays well and on time..if you can just resolve the saftery issue..say make him wear some protective gear..then you have a good customer. What I have found works well for these kinds of people is to give them a job to do to keep them busy. Ask for his help in one area while your working the other areas. Give him a broom or ask him to read a thick pamplete of some equipment instructions cuz you don't understand what it says.
It's hard to find good customers..try finding other ways of dealing with him before you kick him to the curb.
Good Post!
Old 06-27-2006, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

yeah just resolve the safety issue........payments are all good and want to drop him? crazy comments can be annoying but but just think of him as the crazy guy or something to add a little humor to the situation........safety fixed i wouldn't see a prob if he's pay'n good
Old 06-27-2006, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is one senario I dont mind!

6.5'x10.5' dual axle trailer-FULL of equip.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

That's a good idea - keeping him busy. I had an older lady who always stopped to talk forever. She always had sticks in the lawn. So I asked her if she could pick up the ones in the back while I was mowing the front & she did it. I cut my time way down. On my way to the front, she has her money, I grab it & say "Have a good weekend, see ya next week!" "Alright" she says "I'll call you if I think of anything else that needs to be done." I've got her trained.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by garth1967
it is easy to say.......yeah bleed this guy ....but you are right .i was in a similar situation once .safety is more important than money
Is it inevitable, must we have this on our schedule, is there NO way to not have them? Somedays...

But I dunno, I'd charge him more for the time being, right now I could use the money from someone who doesn't flinch when I state the price... But if you can't take it, I understand that as well, I know tolerance has its limits. That, and if I feel sorry for someone, I find it hard to charge enough or I feel bad afterwards doing it, I dunno...
You might try the other tactic they talked about keeping him busy... This is what I mean about the bs comes out of the woods during lean years, I've got several on my list that test me good this year but money is tight and there's nothing I can do but deal with it.

The other thing is, I've had several wackos before that paid, always paid without flinching, never a complaint or 'omgeez' stupid comments or argument back and forth over 5 dollars... Man, I still give folks like that way extra rope, consider this an eccentric customer, a high roller.

Last edited by topsites; 06-27-2006 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshovel
Wow, sheshovel, that is an excellent and nice reply! Im impressed!
echo hedge clippers
echo long pole hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Polaris Sportsman 500 AWD ATV
last but not least, TWINS!