Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-27-2006, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Customers wanting to skip

Hey every one I was just wondering if any one else ever has a problem with customers wanting to "skip a cut" or just "wait a few more days because its not deep enough yet " or because "money is tight". I have tried explanig to them that we are only in their neighbor hood 1 day a week and if they want to wait they are going to have to wait till next week and if the grass gets too deep we are going to have to charge extra becaue it will take us longer...
What burns me the most is when the middle house of 3 in a row wants to skip.
Also what if they dont call and you drive all the way out and see the grass hasn't realy grown do you mow it anyways ? or if the customer comes out and asks you not to mow do you charge a travel fee for your time wasted driving there ?
Old 06-27-2006, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just charge them a trip fee if you make the decision. If they come out w/o calling you, let them know this is a warning and that they need to call you a day in advance because gas isn't free & it uses it to get to there home.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Member

If I come to a yard, and it really, really doesn't need cut, I skip it. If they call and request, I don't have a problem either. Especially with the dry weather we've had. I've got a couple yards that are very shaded that haven't been mowed in 3 weeks, and still don't need it. It sucks, but its the honest thing to do. I also have 4 yards in a town the next county over. I usually do them all on the same day. I call ahead during the dry months, instead of wasting a trip.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We skip it if it doesn't need cut. If they come to ask and ask us to skip for a couple of days we skip for the coupel of days then skip a couple of more days. We then cut it low and leave windrows. This usually takes care of the problem. If the lawn doesn't need to be cut we don't do it. We have lots of other work sitting waiting to be done so skipping gives us time to catch up.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've read the replies here and I just don't agree.

I don't recall any customers offering to pay me extra during the times their lawn is literally growing inches per day. Therefore, I don't offer them the opportunity to short my income.

I think it all equals out over the course of a season.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They can skip anytime they wish,I have em all on seasonal contracts.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

what 67 said.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We set a schedule weekly or every ten days. We explain our company policies with few exceptions. Grass grows fast here and they know we're coming.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG
I've read the replies here and I just don't agree.

I don't recall any customers offering to pay me extra during the times their lawn is literally growing inches per day. Therefore, I don't offer them the opportunity to short my income.

I think it all equals out over the course of a season.

I agree but customers don't care

kc
Old 06-28-2006, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaNate
If I come to a yard, and it really, really doesn't need cut, I skip it. If they call and request, I don't have a problem either. Especially with the dry weather we've had. I've got a couple yards that are very shaded that haven't been mowed in 3 weeks, and still don't need it. It sucks, but its the honest thing to do. I also have 4 yards in a town the next county over. I usually do them all on the same day. I call ahead during the dry months, instead of wasting a trip.
I'm the same way, the one problem is when a customer delays me beyond when it already really needs it and by the time I get there it's way tall (and it's because money is tight so we already know the extra charge won't fly). Don't make your money problem MY money problem. I am already VERY lenient, I almost always let the grass get pretty tall between cuts (you will see me throwing fits around here at the weekly cutters) so please do not play me around beyond this.

Here again, gotta give them some rope, too. Once maybe twice a year a customer might can get away with it, but it does test me and I don't play around much anymore, I'm fast to cross one off (two last week, see ya).

Way I see things, I risk losing a customer when I play stupid...
Thus, they risk losing me when they do it.
Some contract-based Lco's may argue, but does my customer want me, or the contracted Lco, who is cheaper?
That is their choice to make, and if it's a money issue, they may well find they can cut it themselves.

Last edited by topsites; 06-28-2006 at 12:18 AM.