Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-31-2000, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I just got a call today from a little old lady who only wants her lawn mowed once a month. She said that her grandson mows it every once and awhile, but how do I know that until I pull up to her yard and the grass is too long to cut. Should I just stay away from this monthly thing or should I charge more than usual for her yard?
Old 03-31-2000, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I would say forget it. In my experience, these things never work out well.<p>Either one of two situations will plague you:<br>(1) The grandson will have done it just a week before and she'll send you away saying &quot;come back next week&quot;. Can you charge her for your travel time? Probably not.<p>(2) The grandson hasn't done it in a while and it's unusually long. In this situation your cost of using machinery sky-rockets because of the added wear and tear that the machine was not built for. You can try cutting it at 5 inches, but you know she'll be calling you the next day and asking you to &quot;finish the job&quot;.<p>Some may argue that $XX.00 is $XX.00, even if it is only once a month. Just keep in mind that EVERY job you do should be approached the same way. After you key in your labor (don't forget to pay yourself), cost of machinery and other overhead, are you still clearing something? If so, could you clear more on another job with the same time spent? If not, then go for it. Otherwise, move on. Period.<p>
Old 03-31-2000, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

it's hard to argue with greenlawn's advice.<p>GEO
Old 03-31-2000, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you need the work take it, if you have a nice existing customer base, then you might want to pass on her for the above reasons. I took those old ladys on a budget to get myself off the ground, but have replaced them with weekly customers. Of course after offering them a weekly service.
Old 03-31-2000, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I do an elderly lady whenever she calls.<p>I charge $75.00 for a 8,000 sq. ft. lawn and do no trimming or blowing.<p>Only do if if it's off by itself where no potential customers can see you.<p>Bottom line: Get major money or stay away.
Old 03-31-2000, 06:35 PM

No, way , no how. If you then charge her alot of money for that one time. She tell all her relatives and her church and her friend that you gouging her. Taking advantage of a little ol lady.
Old 03-31-2000, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree Charles.<p>I told her 4 years ago when we started that there were companies who could do it for $15 to cut only. I even gave her 2 phone numbers of guys who could do it.<p>She said she wanted to work with someone she could count on.<p>But, certainly your advise is the way to go.
Old 03-31-2000, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Take the job and when you cut, scalp the lawn to the dirt. Most old ladies like that.
Old 04-01-2000, 06:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Tell her to hire a farmer, they have the equipment to bail hay.
Old 04-01-2000, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Accounts like this are usually more trouble than they are worth. If you are talking about a vacant lot and chare top $$ then do it. Many homeowners try this on me and has been said when you show up the lawn will be way to long. Stick with &quot;regular customers&quot; there is no shortage of those