Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-27-2006, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Member

High Lift Blades & striping

I'm on a mission to have better stipes help me out a little. Does anyone here use high lift blades? Do they stripe better than regular blades? Also I've heard lowering the front of the deck helps the striping effect, anyone tried either?
Old 06-27-2006, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim163
I'm on a mission to have better stipes help me out a little. Does anyone here use high lift blades? Do they stripe better than regular blades? Also I've heard lowering the front of the deck helps the striping effect, anyone tried either?

Your mower should have come with high lift blades brand new. The pitch of the deck plus high lifts work great. I never understood anybody not running high lifts anyway. More vacume=cleaner crisper cut.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 06-27-2006, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I have tried Gator blades and they leave a lot of stingers when mowing. I kept them sharp but you had to go so slow on the Z it kind of defeated the purpose of having a fast Z. During the Fall I use high lifts and gators both and they do a great job with leaves. But for everyday mowing I use the High Lift blades. I have noticed a stronger stripe with the high lifts also. Good luck to you.

Ford F-150 2WD
2006 Exmark 60" Walk behind
2009 Exmark 48" Walk behind
2010 Exmark Turf Tracer
Redmax Trimmers
Redmax Blowers
Tanaka 7800R Blower
Tanaka Hedge Trimmer
6'6" x 16' Tandem Trailer
Hand Tools etc...
Old 06-27-2006, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Turf "striping" is only the reorientation of the leaf surface in response to the physical pressure of the mowing.
Many factors combine to effect the "stripe", and one way to accent this is to pitch the deck or trail a roller or some other object behind the deck for additional pressure.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In theory yes using high lifts will help. as pro street said, i cannot see why you would not already be using them in NORMAL cutting conditions. now here's why they help, our mowers are designed to raise the grass straight up and down before it cuts the grass. this is how when you run over matted down grass the mower cuts better than say a home owner 21" (it's all in blade tip speed). high lifts give your mower more lifting power High-lift thus the grass is lifted cut than the deck pitch comes in my toro z is about 1/4" lower in the back the lower back then lays the grass down in the direction you are cutting leaving a nice clean striped lawn...man i feel smart knowing that hope this helps you.

"You cannot run a "mow and go" operation and cry every time you lose an account" -JustMowit
Old 06-27-2006, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We use 1/4" neg pitch in the front.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutInEdge Lawn Care
We use 1/4" neg pitch in the front.
As do we. If you pitch the rear lower than the front, make sure you wear goggles, you will have alot of blowout at the front of the deck. And I have found on every machine we have, and have ever had, that it cuts worse.... Clumping, doesn't discharge properly. I also run a striping roller on the back of the deck. Stripes like none other. (except maybe another similar setup...) You can achieve decent striping with no roller and a good machine, but a striping kit of some sort will give you the professional look you want.
F-250 PSD crew, 20' Open mower trailer, 25' Deckover equipment trailer, 16' 14K Dump trailer, Bobcat T-190, Bobcat 320X, Vermeer Stumper, Country Clipper 60" Zeton (sold), Toro Z593-D 60" Diesel, Deere 36" WB, Honda Harmony 21" bagging, No name 21", Trac Vacs, Accelerator Baggers, Stihl trimmers/edger, Chainsaws and hand blower, Echo backpack
Old 06-29-2006, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i run a ghs like system no blow out at all

"You cannot run a "mow and go" operation and cry every time you lose an account" -JustMowit
Old 06-29-2006, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You want the grass to be cut in the front side of the deck and not the back side.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)