Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-29-2006, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

STihl fs-85 pro problem

First off my trimmer is 5 and a half yrs old with no new parts (keep in mind) The trimmer was running great for the first part of the season but for the last 3 weeks it has been running fine for about 15-20 min and shutting down. Try to restart it and nothing. Next property it starts right up and runs fine agian for about 15 minutes.

First off i thought it was a faulty connection with the sparkplug wire and the sparkplug. So i cut the old end and stripped it and put the coil back in and put it back in its housing. (still doing the same thing)

So i took off the whole unit magnets and all (since its one unit) and figured maybe they needed to be cleaned off. ( same thing)

Im kinda at witts end right now since i have a stupid home owners as a backup. IM hoping its not a big issue maybe just needs a replacement wire magnet and coil housing for the sparkplug. Im hoping thats just it tho

any help would be great. I need any comments as soon as possible please. ALl this rain and now its hot and humid GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRr.

thanks in advance
rob KCM landscaping.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure your tank is venting properly and your fuel lines are not dry and cracked. After checking these things, do you have an inline spark tester? When it shuts down test the unit for spark I have changed lots of ignition coils on Stihl handheld.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Member

HI,
Sounds like it is your ignition module. I just had the same proplem with my fs 85 and is almost as old. I got the part for 32.00.
It is the module that your spark plug is hook onto. It heats up and breaks contact not alowing spark to transfer after a period of time and then cools down allowing spark.. Let me know how it goes.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtgm5
HI,
Sounds like it is your ignition module. I just had the same proplem with my fs 85 and is almost as old. I got the part for 32.00.
It is the module that your spark plug is hook onto. It heats up and breaks contact not alowing spark to transfer after a period of time and then cools down allowing spark.. Let me know how it goes.

thanks a lot guys. Ya im banking thats the problem. It produces electricity from the rotating magnets.

but ya when i have some time ill snag one. That trimmer is a beast
Old 06-29-2006, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Yep,
I love the fs 85. I did have a problem before fixing it about why dont i just bye a new fs 100. I really needed a trimmer that could use the attachments cause i have a big hedge job coming up. The 100 also can use the attachments. Im glad now that i fixed the old one. Now i have that fixed and a echo 2601. LIke both but sthil is top of the food chain when it comes to weedwhackers. I will soon bye a fs 100 when i decide what type of trimmer rack to bye. Good luck for the rest of the season and hope you dont have to put no more money into it.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

SG. let me ask you something. I took a look at the one i have and when i reinstalled it after cleaning it i wasn't sure how close to the magnets to get. How close did you install the thing? cause u can get a good 8th off the magnets it if u want or as close as a mm. ??? what did u do or does it matter?
Old 06-29-2006, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Use a paper tab card to adjust...needs to be pretty close. Maybe the width is .007"....never worried just used the container that spark plugs comes in the set the gap on between the coil and magnets.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

coils have gone bad on every one of my sthil edgers and weedeaters. one went out on my extended hedge trimmers too. - i dont buy sthil products any more. the coils shoild have a lifetime waranttey but dont! sthil stuff has gone to crap!
Old 06-29-2006, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ignition coil is a good bet.There is a 5 year parts and labor warranty on that module.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

it should be lifetime like echo has! 5 yrs isnt long enough. the ones that failed on me were all over 5 yrs old as most of my sthil stuff was back ups .