Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-20-2006, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Member

A couple of months ago my wife quit her job and started cutting with me. I have noticed a difference in a lot of peoples attitude about her. It seems that people are just more comfortable with a woman around. I think the housewife's just feel better dealing with the woman. I definitely think that this is an advantage.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wonder how wonders going, its been two months since she last posted.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Startup

Sandgropher i am still here just been working on things to get the business going in march of 2007 starting on my business plan end of this month, applied for the proper licenses that i need got my DBA, Business name is
J & R Curb Appeal
Landscape Maintenance
and
Gardening Services

Also will be attending the GreenIndustry show in Rochester in November. Have picked up 2 definite landscape installation jobs for 2007 already. one is a little larger than i am use to doing on my own but i have to learn sometime. Have sent for every free Trial version software i was able to get my hands on.
Overall just keeping very busy with this startup stuff.Have an Accountant set up to do my taxes at the end of each year. I will keep checking in as things progress.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hello Wonder Woman and welcome to Lawnsite.
I must have missed your thread in June.
I am Sheshovel, owner and operator of my own landscape business for 15/16 years now. I encourage women in business and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. Just ask first before jumping into a task you ar unfamiliar with.
Landscaping is not just putting in plants as fast as you possibly can. There are many things you still must learn as you well know.
I suggest you ease into this biz, start with smaller jobs and NOT accept huge landscaping jobs until you are more familiar with all that installing a new landscape for a client involves.
You can do what you want I am just warning you here, make sure you have enough knowledge to do what's required for those two big jobs.
Have you got your suppliers lined up for your soil, amendments, plants, mulch ect, and have you established credit with them? Do you have your license's( some states this is not required) and are you insured?
Do you know what to charge and do you have a landscape contract and plans for these jobs and estimates ready for approval by the clients?
Until you have a signature on the dotted line they are not your jobs yet. Just a few suggestions and warnings.
I wish you all the luck with your new biz and prosperity in the future.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Sheshovel for the info. yes i have my licenses that i need insurance i will get after the first of the year in January 2007 i have a supplier for my Mulch and someone to do deliveries for me until i can do my own and a great supplier for my plants that i have been working with through my Church because i do all of the landscaping there as well, also some suppliers that i had through the Six Flags Park which helped me to gain some trustworthiness with these vendors.
The large job i have lined up is for a very good friend of mine and i am really using this Job as a learning experience for future jobs if i choose to do anymore large landscape work mostly i will be concentrating on small Landscape installations and Shrub trimming as well as mulching, plant, installations, edging and probably Spring Cleanups work that i was use to doing for the Six Flags Park, only we did it on a much larger scale than any residential i would be doing. My husband is going to be helping some on this larger job and he runs heavy equipment on his day job as a construction worker so he will be doing any grading work if any that needs to be done.
The other job that is lined up is a smaller landscape job that shouldnt take me more than 10 hrs on my own to complete i have the materials figured out for that job and a place to get my plants. These are my starter jobs but i am confident in doing them well because i won't take on somtheing i know i can't handle. I am encouraged to know that you have been doing this type of work for many years i really don't hear of to many women in this industry my Congrats go out to you for beingable to run a business of this type for so many years what do you find to be your biggest challenge?
Old 10-22-2006, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My biggest challenge is working around the unpredictable weather. Yesterday it snowed 3"-5", then it mostly melted. The day before it rained 1"-2". Today we're back to rain. Oh, yeah, it's about 30 degrees out right now - so rain or snow - it's anybody's guess.

I'm finishing up my 21st year in business for myself. I'm a full-service design/install/maintain firm. Right now, hoping for a break from the rain and snow long enough to do all the necessary cutdowns and put the clients' gardens to bed till next Spring.

If you're interested in getting bigger jobs, register with your state and the Feds as a woman-owned business. The requests for bids will suprise you. Good luck.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder Women
Business name is
J & R Curb Appeal
Landscape Maintenance
and
Gardening Services
Good luck with your new venture, you will do fine. I would offer this bit of advise. As a owner of a previous company named Renaissance Exterior Development, I and employees and vendors got pretty sick of spelling that thing out all the time. You may want to scale back that name a bit. You and your vendors will get tired of writing that full name. Yes they may scale it back to J/R landscape but for everything legal you need the whole Enchilada.

Every time Kate Butler speaks I listen, one of the few plant knowledgeable people on site. Sheshovel is also knowledgeable but if I listened every time she spoke I wouldn't get anything else done.

BTW. I think Wonder Woman Landscape is an excellent name. I can see the uniforms now ... opps just got a visual of some guy named Pablo in that thing may want to rethink the uniforms.

Good luck
Old 10-26-2006, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, Kate has many more years of expierience in this biz than I do. She is very knowlegable and know's her stuff.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Here in CT I know of 2 sucessful landscaping companies owned by women! Go for it!

Chris
PS are you single? lol JK
Old 11-04-2006, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I may possibly have an opportunity to work with a New Home Builder apparently the other Landscape Companys he has delt with have bad attitudes about there work and he is looking for somone to work with that enjoys what they do i will proceed with caution on this as Im not quiet sure what is involved yet until i speak with the builder himself.
Has anyone ever done work like this? if so can it possibly open up other jobs for me?