Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-01-2006, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Cub Cadet 22HP Zero Turn

I am helping start up a new high school and looking to buy a mower that would fit our needs but not break the budget. I found the cub cadet zero turn mower at Home Depot and it looks fairly decent especially the price. I know it is meant for residential use but other "commercial" zero turn mowers seem to be over 6 grand.

Anyone use this mower before and do you think it would be sturdy enough for a school that would have about 2 acres of grass to cut once a week?

Thanks
Old 07-01-2006, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

On flat easy to cut with no ruts and holes it will cut but you will have down time when it breaks,and the parts are high it's really over kill to fix a cheap mower for starting out it will work.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure about the cub but the John Deere tractor style they (Home Depot)sell are really good consumer tractors (not zero turn though). My dad and brother have one and love them. I wish I could help you on a good consumer zero turn but I have no experience in them. Any little mower should handle two acres without alot of problem, a zero turn may be a little overkill. Just my opinion, good luck with the school. Oh yea the John Deere tractors were rated #1 by consumer reports for consumer mowers if you trust the readers in the survey. I have not heard any negatives about the little tractors and you can get the manual transmission for $1399.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have you looked @ Gravely

They have a home owners edition it's called the ZOOM 2148XL, they sell for around $3400 before you think it's to expensive, they come with the comercial hydro units 21hp 48" cut and a two year warranty.
05' 48" Ariens 2148XL ZTR W/Grass Catcher
06' 36" Gravely W/B W/Grass Catcher
06' 1 Ryobi Trimmer
09 Echo SMR 210 trimmer
09 Ryobi hand-held blower
06' Mclane Edger
? Craftsman self propeled W/Bagger(was giving to me)
? Toro Recycler ll W/Bagger I picked up at a rummage sale for $5.00
Old 07-01-2006, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

what about simplicity????
6.5*16 diomandback trailer
exmark lazer Z 52" 23/52 w/ jrco dethacher and trac vac
bunton w/b 11/52
craftsman lt1000 tractor 14.5/42
ford tractor 18hp
john deere trimmer pro series
stihl powerbroom
excaliber 22" hedge trimmer
homlite hand held blower
commercial poulman pro bp blower BP400
yard machine 21
Old 07-02-2006, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you for all the suggestions guys. A zero turn might be over kill but a zero turn should cut down on some of the mowing time for my crew.

I looked up the gravely ZT mowers and noticed that it is a kholar engine. The cub cadet is a kawasaki engine (I am sure I spelled that one wrong).

Any thoughts on which one is better?
Old 07-02-2006, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Kawasaki is top.........
Old 07-02-2006, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Both great

Quote:
Originally Posted by facilitynewbee
Thank you for all the suggestions guys. A zero turn might be over kill but a zero turn should cut down on some of the mowing time for my crew.

I looked up the gravely ZT mowers and noticed that it is a kholar engine. The cub cadet is a kawasaki engine (I am sure I spelled that one wrong).

Any thoughts on which one is better?
Both are great engines. Kohlers run for 1500+ hours on average and are a less expensive but easy to get parts and work on. Kawasaki would probably get the most votes but not everyone agrees. Both engines would be a good choice. I would not base my decision soley on engine brand.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use a cub cadet resi from home depot for one of my crew members (or, ANY new crew member) to use during the learning curve. It is G R E A T....I kid you not. Anyone that says NOT to buy one has never owned one IMHO.

I feel no ways using it. I wouldnt be caught dead on a lawn tractor. I dont care if GRAVELY made it with his bare hands and Harley Davidson endorsed it.

The cub resi is a fantastic mower and I would recommend any new company to get one. I have seen my machine go thru the trenches and back...in fact, we debated on which unit to use to pull a small tree yesterday from a customers lawn. We called up and had the cub brought over. I sat on it (I weigh 252lbs) and my partner stood on the back (he weighs 180). We jerked that tree back and forth for a few minutes and in the end, it ripped that tree out with little effort. It took that long due to not wanting to rip up the lawn.

Anyway, if you are thinking of buying one..... DO IT. Save your money, it will cut fast and GOOD. No one knows (here anyway cuz its canada and they dont sell cub resis in canada) it s a resi and frankly not one of my crew or myself would care. In fact, I cancelled a high priced comm unit and ordered yet another resi unit. 3 resi 50 inchers for one comm. 52 inch. DO THE MATH.