Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-24-2000, 06:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

After much thought and sleepless nights I went out and traded my 91 S-10 for a 98 Chevy Z-71. I have had this truck 6 days and yesterday I hooked my trailer up to rearrange some equipment (second time hitched) To make a long story short I was distracted by my daughter and I'm not blaming her. I forgot to secure the hitch to the ball and when I went to reload the hitched popped up I hit reverse on my Walker and my trailer went ahead to the tune of $283 dollars to repair my tailgate. So I cant help to think that I have to work for free for a day to fix it. Its spring so I can't cry too much. Has anything like this ever happened to you?
Old 03-24-2000, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

yeah I know the feeling.<br>In the past, I've had instances where I forgot to get gas before hitting the route, & get to the site & &quot;shoot! Gotta get gas&quot;. So I unhooked the trailer after equip. was unloaded by worker & I took the truck to get gas. Come back & back up to it & get out & finish mowing. Then go to load the mower, forgetting it wasn't hooked, & UP TO THE SKY WE GO! Then SLAM! back down- ouch! Another time I unhooked but forgot the trailer wires; backed the mower off & UP WE GO AGAIN(this seems familiar). But the coupler stayed into the socket & the trailer catapult ripped the wires right out of it. so I had 10 min. downtime to fix it, thank goodness- coulda been alot worse <p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
Old 03-24-2000, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Count your blessings. Now you will never forget to lock the coupler. It is much better learning this way than forgetting and having the trailer come off on the road and injuring people.
Old 03-24-2000, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

DON'T WORRY YOU ARE NOT ALONE.<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING
Old 03-24-2000, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

so far it looks like I hold the record for trailer damage. a little over $1500 to talk round numbers. &quot;HOW'D YA DO THAT GEO???&quot; *&%$#@+&&^%^%!!!
Old 03-24-2000, 11:23 AM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

My tail gate has a little owy on it too. Our helper forgot to latch the trailer hitch and then we backed the JD on it and the hitch lifted up and banged the tailgate. I did it myself on my old truck too. Your not the only one and there will be others to do this even after reading this. I just hope it's none of us. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<p>
Old 03-24-2000, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

A friend of mine left his pick tail gate down while turning around in a circle and the jack stand tube on the trailer put 2 dents on the top of his tail gate.
Old 03-24-2000, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Newer truck + work = old beat up work truck.
Old 03-24-2000, 01:36 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Don't fix the tailgate?? Buy a handy ramp end gate for $500 instead.<p>http://www.ncrampsystems.com/endgate.htm
Old 03-24-2000, 02:36 PM
Administrator

My guys set the truck on fire one season.!<p>They threw a butt out the truck and it went into the bed where there was dried leaves. Yes, they had a fire extinguisher but I guess they got so scared they forgot to use it. <p>By the time it was all over it came to the tune of $22,000. The price to buy a new truck.. Thank God for insurance.<p>NO more smoking in the trucks!