Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-24-2000, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

About 5 yrs. ago I left in the morning to head out and forgot to latch the coupler. I connected the wiring and safety chains but not the coupler. I made it about 5 miles, hit a bump and down went the trailer. I hit the brakes & let it hit me and it got wedged under there somehow. Gotta learn the hard way sometimes.
Old 03-24-2000, 07:07 PM

Mow Ed you jinks my trailor this morning!!! I didn't do what you did. But. I read your post before i left for work. I went to my first job a trailor park. Going about 5 mile per hr on their gravel road. Hit a pot hole and the area between the ball and the trailor just collapsed. This is a very heavy duty trailor 4 ton I guess dually. I heard a bang and thought it was my new hitch. I didnt panick though and called alot of welders trying to find a portable company. I found one finally that wasnt busy. Took him 15 min to get their. I had jacked it into place for him. Took him and hour. Said he had a 2 hour minimum at 55$ an hour. Total charge 110$$ for an hour. And some of you out their think we charge too much?!! Thought about asking him where was his gun for this robbery But I was happy to get it done and not waist my hole weekend . Plus I was blocking traffic (*&^%$#%%&. MO ed man I not reading your post anymore before i go to work
Old 03-24-2000, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Learned myself years ago, and first thing I taught an employee: As soon as you start to crank the trailer down, nothing else exists until you finish your count. Tongue on ball(1), Latch & lock (2), raise jack (3), plug in wiring (4), breakaway brake cable (5), left safety chain (6), right safety chain (7). Doggone 13-count when using the weight distributing hitch, but it's worth it to me.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana
Old 03-24-2000, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Member

in a hurry is not a good thing...<br>i had my Jd on my trailor ..it has bad parking brakes. I had to strap it down all the time. well before i got my yard gate, i was giving it a little too much gas to get across a busy street...bang! my strap broke and there went johnny d. right in the middle of the busy street!<br>thank God that i have someone up there that is watching over me,because nothing was damaged other than my face being red jumping on my tractor and dodging traffic to get out of danger..whew!
Old 03-24-2000, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I know a guy in town that had his employees tie a rope from the new 48&quot; JD walk behind on the trailer to a tree in the back of the dump truck to keep it standing upright. Only they forgot to hook up the trailer before they took off down the road! Needless to say the JD looked like a pancake after it flew over the trailer and landed on the pavement
Old 03-24-2000, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think all of you have been VERY lucky. I have a friend two years ago that lost his trailer while driving 35-mph. He was stopping for a red light to make a right turn. The light turned green before he came to a stop. He made his right turn all right, but the trailer continued going straight. His trailer ball had lost its nut. Hit the center divider, jumped it, hit an oncoming car. Another car hit the car that hit the trailer, pushing the trailer into the passenger compartment of the first car killing a passenger in the first car. Besides being issued a citation by the Highway Patrol for not having safety chains for the trailer, he also was convicted of vehicular manslaughter because of his gross negligence. I know his insurance is still dealing with the deceased family.<br>Jean<br><p>----------<br>J-LC Landscaping & Maintenance Gardening<br>C-27 Ca Contr# 770044
Old 03-24-2000, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Just this morning I kicked the chock block out from under the rear passenger wheel. The truck jumped out of gear, the emergency brake didn't hold (which is why I had it chocked in the first place - it's a '69), and away she goes, down a steep hill. So down the road it goes, along with my 16' trailer loaded down (Grasshopper and various other pieces of equipment), with me in hot pursuit. I manage to sprint to the passenger door - and it's locked! After that, all I could do was wave bye-bye. It jumped a curb, went down a hill, and knocked down a 50' tall, 1' diameter oak tree. A carpenter working nearby was able to hook on a chain and we pulled it out to the road, and By God, except for a v-shaped front bumper, the old girl runs as fine as ever. Damn those old Fords are tough!
Old 03-24-2000, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

A friend of mine was loading a Ford 3000 loader tractor onto a double axle trailer hooked onto a BORROWED Ford pickup. He was slowly backing it onto the trailer to get it balanced right. He figured he was about the right spot and locked the parking brake ( it didn't work) his foot slipped off the clutch while he was fooling with the parking brake. The tractor backed up 3 feet off the front of the trailer, the 3 point hitch was sitting on the tail gate of the truck,the tractor rear tires were strattling the hitch and touching the ground, the bumper of the truck was on the ground and the front wheels of the truck were barely touching the ground. All this happened it about 3 seconds, it was the most amazing thing I have ever saw. Took a couple of hours, 3 jacks and a bunch of planks to get the tractor back onto the trailer. The only real damage was to the tail gate and bumper on the truck. I wish we had of taken pictures but we were in a hurry before the guy that owned the truck got home.
Old 03-25-2000, 09:56 PM

Been there! I was lucky, I thought the trailer was acting a bit too loose on the hitch and checked at the first stop sing after leaving home. Latched the hitch and it was fine after that. Also forgot to unhook safety chains one day in a pouring rain. Dragged the trailer on the jack for a few feet, bent hell outa the swivel lock and mounting plate on the jack.
Old 03-26-2000, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We've had our share of incidents, and more than one time I've bailed out friends who needed the backhoe to lift up a loaded trailer that popped off of a ball. All of our trailers - from the leaf vac up to the equipment trailers are pintle hook arrangements. Accidents can still happen, but I can say that this provides more peace of mind and security. <p>As for fires, one year we had a leaf fire during fall cleanups at a house (3 down from the chiefs house). No emergency, but the FD came. 6 months later, 2 houses down, the fuel pump let go on an 85 F-250. Once again the FD came. The same truck seemed to be on the scene of a few of these incidents. I have since sold 'Fireball'. When the fuel pump caught on fire, I think the truck was angry at me for buying a new one, since the 94 was only 3 days old. I didn't even get to drive it a week before putting it into full time service. <p>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply - http://members.aol.com/slsnursery<br>Ivy League Landscaping - http://members.aol.com/scagrider