Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-03-2006, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

dixie chopper wheel motor leaks

My 6 year old 280 hour dixie chopper is leaking oil under the left side. About 6 oz.low. Has done it twice so I took it to my dealer. He says left wheel motor must be replaced @ $550-600. Any alternatives? Is the price in the ballpark? Thanks
Old 07-03-2006, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure what wheel motor you have there should be a small round metal tag on the back side of the wheel motor with all the info you need, check out J-Thomas.com for your motor call them direct give them your #'s and they can get you a master seal kit probably $20-$30 bucks. The new motor complete yes will cost $300-$400 before R/R and oil. Most (busy) shops will not want to rebuild your wheel motor they will want to do the R/R this is quick and less likely to have a return. Hope this helps
Old 07-04-2006, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm not skilled enough to install the seal kit, and time is of the essence, so I guess I'll bite the bullet and have the new pump motor installed.

Should I expect the right side to go soon or did I just have bad luck to spring a leak at under 300 hours? Any preventive maintenance?
Old 07-04-2006, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't say that I have never seen wheel motors leak before but I can't also say thats its common. Your hours do seem low for the year of the mower, its hard to say if the other motor will leak but if its not broke don't fix it applies here IMHO. Do you use this mower daily or does it have lots of down time? Keep up with your fluid services per your manufacture this will help the entire hydro system.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowerMedic77
I can't say that I have never seen wheel motors leak before but I can't also say thats its common. Your hours do seem low for the year of the mower, its hard to say if the other motor will leak but if its not broke don't fix it applies here IMHO. Do you use this mower daily or does it have lots of down time? Keep up with your fluid services per your manufacture this will help the entire hydro system.
2 1/2 to 3 easy hours a week is all I use it and I've never serviced the hydraulic system. Says to change hydro fluid at 1000 hours so I'm not sure I'll live long enough at 50/60 hrs per year. I change engine oil and grease it once a year and that's been about it. 5 years trouble free.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had one go out on a Scag WB that had high use but the other side still is okay. The failure on mine was not simply a seal problem it was the bearing went out and that resulted in damage to the spindle and consequently the seal. A bearing kit would not have solved mine. If I had inspected my wheel on regular basis I might have caught the bearing problem before it caused more damage.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I noticed not many mentions about Dixie Chopper, here, this is a first, I've noticed here. Several LCO's use them, what are the thoughts on them here, as far as Maintenance and such, and Quailty verse Price.......Just curious Hornet Mowing
Old 07-04-2006, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornetMowing
I noticed not many mentions about Dixie Chopper, here, this is a first, I've noticed here. Several LCO's use them, what are the thoughts on them here, as far as Maintenance and such, and Quailty verse Price.......Just curious Hornet Mowing

Well, the shop where Rob works has apparantly had good luck with them and repairs. I dont like them because of the industrial look they have. Seems to me 200 hours and they would look like 5 miles of gravel road...
Old 07-04-2006, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnmaniac883
Well, the shop where Rob works has apparantly had good luck with them and repairs.

Yes maniac, We have had super luck with them. I feel like the maytag repair man sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnmaniac883
Seems to me 200 hours and they would look like 5 miles of gravel road...
At least they don't have paint on them that peels off like Gravely's are prone to doing.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 07-04-2006, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

At least they don't have paint on them that peels off like Gravely's are prone to doing. [/QUOTE]

Real funny ...