Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-04-2006, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

getting rid of annual ryegrass

We seeded a customers lawn and put down a "landscapers mix" grass seed. It contained a small proportion of annual ryegrass- but unfortunately, when it grew, too much annual ryegrass is sticking up all over the place, making his lawn look shabby. Coupled with all the rain we've been getting in the northeast, it only takes two days to look like a field again! My question is, can I get rid of the annual rygrass without harming the fescue and bluegrass this summer? My customer, of course, is one of those "I want it to look like a golfcourse, and NOW!" guys. We started with a soil test, found we needed lime and fert. added those, tilled, added topsoil and tilled, seeded with starter fert., mulched with straw, and have phenomenal amounts of grass growing, just that it looks shabby with the rye poking up all over twice as tall as the fescue and bluegrass!! Can anyone help me out with this? thanks in advance.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

take it as a lesson learned to use a WAY better mix next time..the heat will probably take care of the annual rye and if it doesn't, aerify and interseed this fall should do the trick gl
Old 07-04-2006, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

If the heat does'nt do it, the cold in the winter will as annual rye is not very tolerant of cold temperatures.

I have to question if this was a recently seeded area? Ryegrass is blended into these mixes as a nurse grass for the slower germinating Kentucky Blue and Fescue. At 5 day germination under perfect growing conditions it is likely that your rye is 10-14 days ahead of your other grasses in terms of maturing.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks for the help guys. Yeah, golfguy, I think the rye is a little ahead of the blue and fescue. I just hope my customer can wait until things catch up a little, he's a very picky customer. I chose to go with a quick growing mix, because of the later time of year that we planted (mid-june), I didnt plan on all this rain we've been having. He wanted instant results, I got him instant results, just not exactly what he had in mind, LOL. thanks again, I'll post an update after I meet with him.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I can't for the life of me figure out why people insist on using rye in a lawn blend when MANY of the newer, improved KBG will germinate in 5-7 days.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 07-05-2006, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

very simple, if it stops raining long enough and if the undesirable grass is longer (taller) than the rest wick the undesirable with glyphosate and your problem is solved.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Member

google a product called "revolver"
Old 07-17-2006, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The real problem is probably an over application of the seed blend. Contractor seed blends typically contain 20% rye, altho i have seen 10% and even 5%. While this might be an acceptable ratio, the problem starts when application rates are increased to make a thicker stand of grass. Not only do you increase the amount of permanate grass but you are also increaseing the amount of nurse grasss you are applying. This over application of the nurse grass will out compete the permanate grass for establishment. While the annual ryegrass might comeup faster, the plant density is simply to great for the desired grass type. I learned my lesson a long time ago, I never buy seed blends that contain annual ryegrass. If I feel I need the annual rye, I purchase it seperate from my turf mix and then apply in a seperate application. This way I can control the total amount of annual rye grass seed that is put down and prevent the problems associated with to heavy a nurse grass application.